Author Topic: GRX  (Read 2974 times)

trailplanner

• Trail Planner
GRX
« on: August 28, 2019, 04:02:02 pm »
I am wondering about the advantages and disadvantages of using the new Shimano GRX system for touring, wishing to move away from a triple chainset to a dual chainset and 11-speed system.  Surely this "gravel bike" (whatever that means) hardware has merits?

How suitable is the GRX system for touring?  Is it durable?

Gearing wise a chainset of 46/30T or 48/31T matched to an 11-speed 11-32T cassette seems appealing for a light touring setup.  I'll stick to my Sherpa 11-36T 42/32/24T triple for heavy touring, but I am looking for a lighter more road-oriented light tourer such as the Club Tour or even an Audax frame setup for fast light touring and I am trying to avoid a triple.

PH

Re: GRX
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2019, 11:09:50 am »
As a none technical answer - 46/30 and 11-32 would still be too high for me, at both ends, on 32mm tyres it's 25" bottom gear and 112" top.  We all have different requirements, but I'd be aiming at 20 - 100 for any tourer, my experience is that I don't need much of a gear difference between bikes, it's just the percentage of time spent in each that changes.  My Rohloff Mercury is 20 - 107.  To achieve something similar with a double and 11-32 cassette, you'd need 40/24 and  I've seen a few triples being used as doubles with a chainguard in place of the big ring to do this. 
I know nothing about 11 speed, nor do I intend finding out! I wear through derailleur components fast enough without looking for something that logic tells me is going to wear faster.

Thomas777

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2019, 01:20:41 pm »
As I work in a bike shop I see the price difference on different components. Chains especially 11 speed are quite abit more in cost. I also like that my 9 speed setups are a bit more robust.

trailplanner

• Trail Planner
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2019, 03:05:36 pm »
As a none technical answer - 46/30 and 11-32 would still be too high for me, at both ends, on 32mm tyres it's 25" bottom gear and 112" top.  We all have different requirements, but I'd be aiming at 20 - 100 for any tourer, my experience is that I don't need much of a gear difference between bikes, it's just the percentage of time spent in each that changes.  My Rohloff Mercury is 20 - 107.  To achieve something similar with a double and 11-32 cassette, you'd need 40/24 and  I've seen a few triples being used as doubles with a chainguard in place of the big ring to do this. 
I know nothing about 11 speed, nor do I intend finding out! I wear through derailleur components fast enough without looking for something that logic tells me is going to wear faster.

The Rohloff linear change and wide range do appeal and I agree with 11-speed being over the top, why do we need it?  8 or 9-speed is good enough and I hate cleaning derailleurs.  Now I will have to dig into even smaller recesses to get that road grime out :-(

Maybe I will make that step to Rohloff to cope with the Scottish/Cornish hills, my ageing body will appreciate it.