Author Topic: Rubber sleeves  (Read 3317 times)

Matt2matt2002

Rubber sleeves
« on: July 25, 2019, 05:05:12 pm »
My sleeves don't stay on.
I think I may have the wrong type.
Reversing them doesn't appear to work.
Any ideas folks?
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Rubber sleeves
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 05:44:27 pm »
Matt,

I found my Shimano-sourced v-brake boots soon perished in the hot sun of the desert areas I like to tour, so I switched to Jagwire and so far they have been longer lived. They are a little smaller in diameter and a little thicker so they stay in place better. I got mine from Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jagwire-Brake-Rubber-10Pcs-Black/dp/B003U658EY

Strictly speaking, running mudguards/fenders keeps much of the dirt out of the last bit of cable housing even if you don't use these v-brake boots...except when it is dusty (which is why I continue to use them).

Best,

Dan.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2019, 05:46:03 pm »
Oh! One last thought: Before I found the Jagwires, I tightened a small cable tie over the end of the Shimano rubber boot to snug it up a bit over the end nipple of the brake pipe. It worked well for some time until the rest of the boot split. Might be a short-term solution for your needs as well.

Best,

Dan.

mickeg

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2019, 12:34:46 pm »
On my Nomad Mk II rear the boot was way too short, so i used two.  They are squishy enough that having two did not impede braking in any way.  I can't remember if I trimmed one, in which case I might be actually only using one and a half.