Technical > Luggage

Unpacking my S&S Nomad MkII from the S&S Backpack Case

<< < (2/7) > >>

mickeg:

--- Quote from: John Saxby on July 15, 2019, 03:13:09 pm ---... you don't have to do all this to go to & enjoy Halifax and surrounds.  Without a doubt, tho', a Nomad or similar will help you do so  ;)

Cheers,  John

--- End quote ---

Yeah, lots of other bikes were being used when I was there.

I think my Nomad and its strength and weight capacity was overkill as the roads and trails were not that rough so a bike like my Sherpa would have been more than adequate most of teh time.  But I really liked having the lower gearing that my Nomad has than my Sherpa which has derailleur gearing.

I brought the Nomad because it has S&S, the Sherpa does not.

John Saxby:

--- Quote ---I think my Nomad and its strength and weight capacity was overkill
--- End quote ---

I've found that my Raven is plenty robust for the places I use it, maybe even overbuilt, as an e-friend Down Unda remarked.  Like you with your Nomad, I've found that the low gearing of the Raven is ideal for hilly terrain such as the Cdn Shield and Atlantic Canada.

The compactness of your kit is remarkable, George, and you're right about how manageable it is.  I have a high-quality cardboard box which I bought from shipbike.com, in Chicago, for USD40. It works well for shipping my bike as checked baggage, but at 11" x 31" x 43" (total 85 linear inches), it's a bit of a hassle when I'm loading it onto a train, along with other gear.

Cheers,  John

mickeg:

--- Quote from: John Saxby on July 15, 2019, 11:54:32 pm ---...
The compactness of your kit is remarkable, George, and you're right about how manageable it is. 

--- End quote ---

Another photo, this one is from about 15 months ago, I am walking out of an airport wearing the S&S Backpack case on my back with my folding bike in it, carrying my carry on bag (Ortlieb 31 liter duffle) in one hand and using a wheely cart to tow my other checked bag with my other hand.  The S&S case being black with a dark background for the photo makes it hard to tell that I am wearing it but you can clearly see the shoulder straps over my shoulders.

Unfortunately, I can't quite fit the anti-gravity machine into my luggage to lighten the load. 

A luggage scale is the travelers best friend.  On the trip out of Halifax my S&S case and other checked bag weighed 22.9 kg each, just a hair below the airline limit.

ourclarioncall:
Good read

My wife is American (Texas) and I have thought about taking a bike over and how that would work .

I fancy trying a cruise on the qe2 but not sure if they would let you take a fully built up bike or if your would have to get some sort of case. Or if S+S is the way to go for world travelling . Hmmm

JohnR:

--- Quote from: ourclarioncall on April 04, 2021, 11:27:16 pm ---Or if S+S is the way to go for world travelling . Hmmm

--- End quote ---
Perhaps you should be looking at the Airnimal range https://airnimal.co/products/products-overview/. They do custom builds and offer the Rohloff hub as an option.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version