Author Topic: Cycling Loire  (Read 5182 times)

Smiffy

Cycling Loire
« on: July 06, 2019, 06:02:38 pm »
Hi Folks,
Taking my first step into cycle touring in France next week, a nice, easy bit of cycle camping along the Loire.... just a shake down ride to make sure everything works as planned.... I have a Raven with all the bits, just bought a Hilleberg Enan to replace a cheaper tent that I originally planned to take.... I watched the Hilleberg promotional video so many times before I bought it, that I started to develop a Swedish accent !!!.
If it goes to plan, I hope to cycle from Santander to Roscoff next year .... I’m not a diehard cyclist, I just figure that if I take it easy I will get there eventually ! .... anyone used a Hilleberg Enan ? .. it hurt to pay that much for a tent, but I’ve got to that age where I want quality.... if it goes well I will let you know , if it doesn’t you will see my gear for sale LOL !!!

RichardFM

Re: Cycling Loire
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2019, 07:15:33 pm »
Good luck with your ride, enjoy yourself.  Make sure you update us with your progress, photos are good!

Smiffy

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2019, 08:31:43 pm »
Thank you Richard, I will.

John Saxby

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2019, 02:08:31 am »
I’ve got to that age where I want quality

My approach to camping gear has always been: buy quality or repent at leisure.

That said, I've not owned a Hilleberg tent.  From the catalogue, though, they seem very well designed. Look forward to your report.

Enjoy the Loire valley.  Europe has a lot of valleys to let a rider begin cycle-touring--easy terrain, good food/drink/accommodation, trains to get you home.

Cheers,  John

jrn

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2020, 01:22:27 pm »
Hey Smithy,
I was/am planning the same trip - would be interested to hear of your plans (don't worry I am not angling to come with you :-) ).  The ferry to Bilbao  is cheaper btw - the route over the mountains looked interesting too and, I understand that there is a scenic (slow) railway that serves the area.
There is a Cameno Norte route that looks hilly but beautiful.  I guess it depends on how long you have for the trip.

I used Cycle.Travel to help with the route planning but did not get as far as planning accommodation/camping spots.

John

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2020, 03:02:30 pm »
Loire valley takes me back. Way way back in fact.
Ashamed to say I did it on a Java 350 2-stroke.
Stunning scenery. And pretty flat as I recall. Although flat for a motorcyclist sure ain't flat for me now!

Hubba Hubba for me. But like yourself, I go for quality now.
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

leftpoole

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2020, 09:20:16 am »
I’ve got to that age where I want quality

My approach to camping gear has always been: buy quality or repent at leisure.

That said, I've not owned a Hilleberg tent.  From the catalogue, though, they seem very well designed. Look forward to your report.

Enjoy the Loire valley.  Europe has a lot of valleys to let a rider begin cycle-touring--easy terrain, good food/drink/accommodation, trains to get you home.

Cheers,  John

John,
Make the jump to a Hilleberg. You will never regret the outlay once the Credit Card payment is paid off!
John

leftpoole

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2020, 09:21:36 am »
Stunning scenery. And pretty flat as I recall. Although flat for a motorcyclist sure ain't flat for me now!

Nothing wrong with a Java 2 stroke. Lovely sound and comfortable.
John

Mike Ayling

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2020, 11:00:12 pm »

Nothing wrong with a Java 2 stroke. Lovely sound and comfortable.
John

I haven't heard a Java (Jawa?) for about 50 years but +1 for the sound!

Mike

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2020, 08:45:22 am »
Jawa indeed. Fading memory made me type Java!
Before cycling, I ride motorcycles.
Nothing exciting but the 350 Jawa was fun to ride and took us to France in style.
Our first visit had been on a Honda 125.
Not enough power, 2-up with tent and gear for 2 weeks.
And before that it was a trusty thumb in the wind to hitch hike from Santander Spain to Morocco.
Happy memories.

leftpoole

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2020, 10:23:12 am »
I used to be a motorcycle rider. I travelled on the Continent (Europe) a number of times and all the way down to Sicily one one occasion! Considering the distance I enjoyed every fast minute. I have owned a number of motorcycles (not one was a Java! Indeed Not even a Jawa strange how one copies another's comment subconsciously) The best ride was a Suzuki GS 550, the next best was a Honda CB900F which waggled its rear end on sweeping bends at speed. The best and worst all in one package was my brand new 1967 (F reg) Triumph Bonneville. This bike was fast (then) but at speed it was hard to keep in a straight line. I loved and still do, Triumph motorcycles. Alas my current permanent physical health no longer allow me to own a motorcycle. I can no longer lift if it fell over.
The Suzuki took me all over Europe and never let me down. I tried a Moto Guzzi 'California' once. Three days saw it returned to the dealer and a compromise in another Triumph, a Tiger 90 fully immaculate in green/cream.
Cars of variety followed!
Cycling has never gone away, nor has tent camping. I when I was married owned (we) a number of Motorhomes but the nicest were VWs but they were problematic. When you see a happy family go past in a VW Camper all and rosy, think of the endless work it takes to keep the camper on the road. Happy indeed.
John

trailplanner

• Trail Planner
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2020, 02:01:30 pm »
I meet many people who ride bicycles, motorcycles, walk and use campervans for long journeys - each has a particular advantage but all forms share the common theme of adventure.  I am also a motorcycle nut, having past my test a few days after my 17th birthday, and promptly starting riding Kawazaki Z900s! (what was I doing). I have a Yamaha Tenere now, and plan to go adventure riding on that too, taking cues from lightweight backpacking and cycle touring.  But which mode is my favourite?

“Now shall I walk or shall I ride? Ride, pleasure said, walk, joy replied”

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2020, 03:59:48 pm »
Not sure who said this, but I agree.

A man who hasn't traveled has no eyes.