Community > Cycle Tours

Cycling Loire

(1/3) > >>

Smiffy:
Hi Folks,
Taking my first step into cycle touring in France next week, a nice, easy bit of cycle camping along the Loire.... just a shake down ride to make sure everything works as planned.... I have a Raven with all the bits, just bought a Hilleberg Enan to replace a cheaper tent that I originally planned to take.... I watched the Hilleberg promotional video so many times before I bought it, that I started to develop a Swedish accent !!!.
If it goes to plan, I hope to cycle from Santander to Roscoff next year .... I’m not a diehard cyclist, I just figure that if I take it easy I will get there eventually ! .... anyone used a Hilleberg Enan ? .. it hurt to pay that much for a tent, but I’ve got to that age where I want quality.... if it goes well I will let you know , if it doesn’t you will see my gear for sale LOL !!!

RichardFM:
Good luck with your ride, enjoy yourself.  Make sure you update us with your progress, photos are good!

Smiffy:
Thank you Richard, I will.

John Saxby:

--- Quote ---I’ve got to that age where I want quality
--- End quote ---

My approach to camping gear has always been: buy quality or repent at leisure.

That said, I've not owned a Hilleberg tent.  From the catalogue, though, they seem very well designed. Look forward to your report.

Enjoy the Loire valley.  Europe has a lot of valleys to let a rider begin cycle-touring--easy terrain, good food/drink/accommodation, trains to get you home.

Cheers,  John

jrn:
Hey Smithy,
I was/am planning the same trip - would be interested to hear of your plans (don't worry I am not angling to come with you :-) ).  The ferry to Bilbao  is cheaper btw - the route over the mountains looked interesting too and, I understand that there is a scenic (slow) railway that serves the area.
There is a Cameno Norte route that looks hilly but beautiful.  I guess it depends on how long you have for the trip.

I used Cycle.Travel to help with the route planning but did not get as far as planning accommodation/camping spots.

John

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version