Author Topic: IF NOT ALLOWED MODERATOR PLEASE DELETE. KNIVES PACKAGE FOR CAMPERS.  (Read 368 times)

martinf

Re: IF NOT ALLOWED MODERATOR PLEASE DELETE. KNIVES PACKAGE FOR CAMPERS.
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 09:54:28 PM »
I have had a smallish Opinel knife in my luggage for the past thirty-five years or so, after I decided that the Swedish sheath knife with a stout 4 inch fixed blade that I carried previously would probably get me into trouble if I was ever searched.

I live in France, and a few years ago I was told by English customs that it was illegal to bring my Opinel into the UK because the blade can be locked into position, which I consider a safety feature for a knife used to cut food, twigs, insulating tape and other relatively inoffensive jobs.

So for UK visits I now take a small-blade Swiss Army knife instead, not so good for cutting things but better than nothing.

Opinel has been OK in France, except for one incident a few weeks ago when I went to a museum and the security guard said no knives at all were allowed. So I just just went back to my bike parked outside and hid the Opinel under the saddle before going back into the museum. And I expect it would not be a good idea to take one on an aircraft or on the Channel Tunnel train.

But I reckon you would probably be OK selling an Opinel in the UK for camping/hunting.

John Saxby

Re: IF NOT ALLOWED MODERATOR PLEASE DELETE. KNIVES PACKAGE FOR CAMPERS.
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2019, 02:30:13 AM »
Martin, you may be interested to know that Lee Valley Tools (started here in Ottawa) sells both Opinel and Laguiole knives, as well as the D H Russell knife (from Nova Scotia). When I'm touring I use one of a couple of my Wenger Swiss Army knives, and in my tool kit I keep a wee Gerber folding item which has a pair of pliers on it.

I've never had any trouble bringing those into different countries, BUT they always go into hold luggage on aircraft. On land borders, I've never been checked.