Author Topic: Tight transfer times  (Read 3408 times)

Matt2matt2002

Tight transfer times
« on: July 03, 2019, 08:02:04 pm »
Looking to fly from Edinburgh to Delhi via Istanbul.
There is a gap of 1hr 25 mins between flights.
Any experience of tight transfers?
I'd hate to arrive in Delhi without my bike.
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

PH

Re: Tight transfer times
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2019, 12:27:56 pm »
Whose making the transfer? 
if you're doing it yourself, I'd say it's way too short a time, it might take that long to get your bike from the first flight never mind checking it back in and having it loaded.
If it's being done by ground staff, it'd still make me a little nervous, but it is well within their capabilities.

* I've recently started working part-time in freight transfer at EMA, slightly different from baggage I know (even though some of it flies in the hold of scheduled passenger flights) you might be surprised at the speed, efficiency and accuracy, I was. 

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2019, 01:46:43 pm »
Details I should have included:
Both flights are with Turkish airlines.
The other option is a 21 hour lay over!
I have flown with Turkish airlines before but my layovers have all been 10+ hours.
The return flights have 2 and half hours layover.
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

John Saxby

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2019, 12:29:32 am »
Matt, if you're checking your baggage (bike +?) straight through to Delhi, then 85 mins should be OK--just.

Worth checking to see if the flights out of Edinburgh to Istanbul are often/regularly delayed--what's the turnaround time between the arrival of the plane from Istanbul, and its departure from Edinburgh?  I mention this because our flights in N America are often delayed because the inbound flight is late, often 'cos of bad weather.

If you have a 21-hr layover in Istanbul, what happens to your bike & other baggage? Does it stay in the baggage area, or do you have to claim it and check it in again?  If it's not too much hassle, and if your bike is secure, that might be the easier option.  Could you get several hours' sleep in Istanbul airport?  Last time I was there, it wasn't v quiet & restful, but maybe there are lounges where you could kip?

Cheers,  John

« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 08:56:20 pm by John Saxby »

PH

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2019, 01:30:08 am »
I've just read through the thorough replies you've had on the CTC Forum.  Nothing much to add, as it's the same airline and the assumption that they're making the transfer, I'd go with it.  I'd expect that to be fine in nearly every case, on the rare one it isn't your bike will have the 21 hour stopover you've avoided. How much of a problem would that be?