Author Topic: creek/click on downward pedal stroke  (Read 3329 times)

Bippers

creek/click on downward pedal stroke
« on: June 27, 2019, 09:47:56 pm »
Have a laugh on me!
I have spent forever or it seems trying to resolve a tiny creaking/click noise on the downward stroke of my right hand pedal.
Recently I have replaced my screw on rear sprocket and new chain, new bottom bearing and elliptical carrier. I religeously tighten the 2 locking bolts. I've checked the run out of the chain between front chainring and rear sprockets. I have replaced the front chainring sprocket screws and tighten down again in a religeous manner. All hope of a cure is almost lost.
I then notice when I,m out of the saddle the noise goes, so I sit and wiggle on my saddle and the creek is definatly audible. I have fitted a Thudbuster for health reasons (and would recommend). When I get home I strip it out and can see quite clearly where the bolt passing through the rubber damper is chaffing on the alloy body. Small modification with a file, a good grease up of the bushes, and reassemble.
 A short road test and at last I have a sigh of relief.
Such a shame I have spent out £120. Hey Ho! another lesson learnt.

Happy Wheels!
N.B. I have tried to post a picture of the offending Thudbuster but no matter how much I try to get below 512Kb I fail. Can't win all the time!

lestat_12345

Re: creek/click on downward pedal stroke
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2019, 01:34:34 pm »
I have a thudbuster that I removed because it developed a creaking noise that I could not get rid of. I'll give what you have a done a try to see if it resolves the issue.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2019, 02:01:44 pm »
One of my Thudbuster LTs developed a clicking in the pivots during the first year of ownership, still under warranty .  I carefully documented all the steps I took to address it as detailed in Cane Creek's support section and when all measures failed, CC cheerfully sent me a replacement pivot and removal/ installation tool. The new pivot addressed the noise immediately and it has not returned even after a number of years.

No problems or noise with my other LT or two STs.

Best,

Dan.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2019, 05:23:20 pm »
Spooky
I had a ' low' intermittent click as well.
No Thudbuster but a Chainglider.

Click was linked to a rotation and not heard when freewheeling.

Long story short, it wasn't the EBB, or the Chainglider or the nuts on the front ring.
It was the spindle on one of my Lambda pedals.

New pedal, no click.
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

aggs

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2019, 10:34:54 am »
Try greasing the threads on your pedals, I spent ages trying to find the source of a click, inc replacing a bottom bracket, it was a "dry" thread on a pedal.....!!!!   solved.!!

May help you too?

mickeg

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2019, 12:22:38 pm »
Has not happened to me, but I have heard that a seatpost can click on the inside of the seatpost from frame flex.

I can't remember the sum total number of causes of clicks and creaks that sound like they are coming somewhere at or near the crankset on my various bikes over time, but they range from:
 - a click in the pedal bearings (which reminds me, I still need to take that pedal apart),
 - a lower rack bolt at the dropout that was not as tight as it should be, the rack shifted
    on the bolt with each pedal stroke from frame flex,
 - a non-drive side bottom bracket bushing on a UN-55 that was not as tight as it should be,
 - perhaps the most obvious culprit, chainring out of true caused a clicking on front derailleur,
 - pump in the bracket screwed to the seat tube shifting in position with each stroke, frame
    flex caused the pump to click on the seat tube,
 - a small plastic box with my cash and credit card in my jacket pocket clicking on my keys,
 - saddlebag shifting in position as my leg bumps it on each pedal stroke,
 - SPD cleated shoe rubbing on the pedal with each pedal stroke,
 - and of course, the dreaded creak of a not-tight-enough square taper crank arm bolt.

Discovered a new one a couple days ago.  My one year old road bike, it really sounded like the left side pedal.  Pedal is about 15 years old, lots of distance on it, likely the culprit.  I put the bike on the bike stand and started to remove the pedal from the crank arm and as I turned the crank to put the pedal wrench on the pedal, I heard the click, moved the crank arm back and forth a few times and the crank arm clicking on the water bottle cage under the downtube was clearly audible.  That water bottle cage was held on to the frame with two of those Zefal plastic bands, I use that cage to carry a bottle with my spare tube, tools, patch kit, etc.  The cage had shifted to the side a bit where the cage touched it on every stroke.
https://road.cc/content/review/11601-zefal-gizmo-extra-bottle-cage-mount

energyman

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2019, 05:09:06 pm »
I had creeks/clicks on two of my bikes and eventually found them to be caused by insufficient torque on the saddle seatpost clamp.  It needed to be a whole lot tighter than I assumed.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 05:11:34 pm by energyman »

energyman

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2019, 03:18:36 pm »
Today I discovered that riding in the pouring rain for 5 hours last weekend has cured a front wheel squeek on my Cube belt drive. Amazing.

mickeg

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2019, 11:33:33 pm »
And I had a new clicking sound on my rando bike for the past couple weeks.  I plan on using that bike for a 200k brevet on Saturday, so I figured I better fix it first.  Crank arm bolts (square taper) were tight.  Bottom bracket threads on both right and left side were tight.  Left side pedal had the click, when I put on a different pedal the click went away so that is how I diagnosed and fixed it. 

Last year I had a right side pedal with a click too.  So, now I have a pair of pedals, both sides have a click.  Shimano A530. 

I bought the tool PD-40 a few years ago, I was sure I would need it some day.

Yesterday, pulled them both apart (one at a time), bearings were not loose, added grease and re-assembled, not sure if they will click when I install in a bike later, but if they do at least I know where the click comes from.  Next time I take them apart (if I have to) I will look at the bearings.
https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/spd-pedal-overhaul