Author Topic: A new front wheel  (Read 9756 times)

PH

Re: A new front wheel
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2019, 11:57:19 pm »
Thanks for the photo. 
First - if you consider a rim too worn to use, don't use it. simple.
However - all three of mine look smoother than that!
The picture of the Ryde Andra on the SJS website shows it has a wear indicator, or rather it's a worn out indicator.  It's the sort where one section of the extrusion is deliberately thinner than the rest, when it's worn you see a line appear, easier to see it than explain
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/rims-tape/rigida-andra-30-26-559-mtb-css-rim-regular-drilling-black-32-hole/

I've worn out a Sputnik that had the same thing, the rim is still solid when the indicator is visible.  I'm assuming they've always been like that. but it's maybe something you can find out. If you google for images for "Rigida rim wear" you'll get some good photos of what to look out for.
I'm not convinced a squealing brake is a good sign of a worn rim, mine frequently do, even when new.  I use Swisstop Salmon or BB Tristop pads, neither are cheap, but they last reasonably well, they may reduce squealing, I buy them for the superior braking.  The front with a V brake sometimes squeals, it need a fair bit of toe in and sometimes adjusting mid wear.  The front and rear with canti brakes never squeal, though there's lots of factors other than the brakes. 

Then - clean you rim! I mean properly, give it a scrub with something fairly abrasive, your rim is likely to get a coating of brake block which certainly won't help.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2019, 07:40:25 pm »
The Swiss top Salmon appear to have done the trick!
I placed and order with SJS for them and some oil.
Excellent first class delivery.
Fitted today and no squealing plus excellent braking.

I feel as if I'm riding a new bike.

Plus, following Dan's advice, I cured the low intermittent click from around the EBB area.
Very elusive. Came and went under a whole variety of situations.

Turned out to be the bolts holding the front sprocket were very slightly loose. Not all of them and only a fraction turn. But it did the trick.
Silent riding. Perfect.
Thanks folks.
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

geocycle

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2019, 10:41:22 am »

Plus, following Dan's advice, I cured the low intermittent click from around the EBB area.

Turned out to be the bolts holding the front sprocket were very slightly loose. Not all of them and only a fraction turn. But it did the trick.
Silent riding. Perfect.
Thanks folks.

I think that’s a good call on the wheel Matt. In hindsight I changed a set of CSS rims too early which looked very similar to your picture. I now have CSS on the back and a squealing non CSS on the front. I wish I’d have stuck with CSS on both. I’ll not be changing the rear until I see a wear indicator or it splays outward.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2019, 11:24:07 am »

Silent riding. Perfect.
Thanks folks.

I think that’s a good call on the wheel Matt. In hindsight I changed a set of CSS rims too early which looked very similar to your picture. I now have CSS on the back and a squealing non CSS on the front. I wish I’d have stuck with CSS on both. I’ll not be changing the rear until I see a wear indicator or it splays outward.
Thanks geocycle.
Any idea why your front wheel squeals now?
What rim and pads?

Re my rear (CSS Rim) I'm using the Swiss top blue.
Braking is ok but not sharp.
I'm so impressed with the Salmon on the front, I'll be ordering a pair for the rear.
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

geocycle

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2019, 01:33:19 pm »
The new front is a non CSS grizzly with some cheap soft v brake inserts. I might follow you down the salmon route next time I need some.

John Saxby

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2019, 02:09:26 pm »
Koolstop salmon pads rule, guys. 

Accept no substitutes ;)

PH

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2019, 12:58:15 am »
Koolstop salmon pads rule, guys. 

Accept no substitutes ;)
Have you tried the BBB Tristops?
I've found them to be just as good ;)