Author Topic: Rohloff chain maintenance  (Read 3657 times)

jcabuckley

Rohloff chain maintenance
« on: August 21, 2007, 09:20:57 am »
hi guys,

Just finished my first tour with the rohloff round scotland. Everything went smoothly, no issues apart from a little bit extra 'noise' or 'friction' in certain gears (6,7,12). Since getting home though i have noticed that the chain slack has increased somewhat and looks like it needs to be adjusted or replaced. I had a quick look at the rohloff manual online but to be honest this has baffled me. The EBB looks like its at the furthest recommended position, is it just a case of removing a link and moving the EBB back the way? how easy is this, just a case of undoing the 2 bolts and it moves? if i was to change the chain what would you recommend? any advise would be greatly received. thanks, jonathan

julk

Re: Rohloff chain maintenance
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 10:34:53 am »
jonathan,
The Thorn site has a manual which includes a section on adjusting the EBB, has pictures as well - try downloading it from
http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/thornpdf/ThornBikeOwnerManual2Web.pdf

If your chain is usable and the EBB is at max adjustment, then remove a link and move the EBB back. The EBB bolts undo easily (15mm spanner) and it can then be moved back and the bolts tightened again to 10-17 Nm.
- make sure it is still central in the bottom bracket shell after moving it.

If taking one link out of the chain leaves too much adjustment to take up, then SJS sell a half link to put back into the chain
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-0-Chain-Half-link-3-32inch--Each-6982.htm

If you end up getting a new chain, SJS suggest getting an expensive chain and looking after it or a cheap chain, less maintenance and replacing it more often, whichever suits you.
I am using the Rohloff chain and looking after it to maximise its life for the high price. It is lasting ok so far (1100 miles).
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Rohloff-Rohloff-SLT-99-8-speed-Road-MTB-chain-116-links-2286.htm

I hope this helps.

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 11:32:57 am »
Hi jcabuckley,

Just to add to Julk's excellent reply

It is unlikely that you are going to need a new chain, unless it is rusty. Mine is on 7,000 miles and I believe PH got about 14,000 miles from his first chain. If you do need a new chain I recommend Sram pc68.  

It is MUCH better to run with a chain that is too loose than too tight.  I tend to leave the chain alone until it almost able to fall off  (I am not joking) and only then tighten it.  I have once had the chain come off while I was off – road.  It took me all of 3 minuets on the trail to put the chain back on and tighten the ebb a little (I carry a spanner).  Point I am trying to make is that to reposition the ebb is a very easy job to do.  

Good luck
Stutho
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 11:34:47 am by stutho »

geocycle

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 12:07:15 pm »
I'd second stutho's comment about not being too eager to tighten the chain.  I've probably been too asiduous and as a result created too many indentations in the EBB.  Two of these holes joined, resulting in some slight movement of the EBB under load and an irritating click with each revolution.  It's probably best to accept that this really is a low maintenance system and not do anything until absolutely necessary.  Now I just wipe the chain with a cloth and keep it lubed.

jcabuckley

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 11:26:54 pm »
right, cheers guys for all your help and advice. i think i'll take the advice and leave it well alone for the time being and revisit it another time!

freddered

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 02:07:11 pm »
Tip.

Get some Tippex and put a small dot on the BB shell and then a few small dots on the EBB.  This allows you to make small adjustments to the EBB (and chain tension).  It also allows you to notice if the EBB moves while you tighten the locking bolts (which it can if the bolts slip into existing dents)

jcabuckley

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 09:59:01 pm »
cheers freddered, i'll give that a go! appreciated!