Author Topic: Flange support rings  (Read 1607 times)

crg

Flange support rings
« on: July 28, 2022, 05:32:31 pm »
Hello,

Thinking about using homemade rings for alfine and nexus hubs.

Questions

1. Is it worth using these rings for other than Rohloff hubs?
2. Cross section seems to be U or V shaped. How is the ring fitted to the flange? Does it come in 2 parts?
3. Should I use aluminum or stainless steel?
4. Any suggestions to follow?

Thanks

mickeg

Re: Flange support rings
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2022, 10:35:38 pm »
Do Nexus or Alfine hubs have a history of flange breakage?  If not, why make them?

The cross sectional shape of a ring if you cut across it is a L shape.  Each ring is one piece.  The ring will slide over the hub flange, but part of it has a smaller diameter so that it can't slide on too far.

At this link, you should see a post that I wrote that has two photos.  Second photo has both rings, the first photo only has one.
http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=11802.msg99847#msg99847

The rings do not fit on it tight enough to put any compression on the flange, they will not make it less likely that the flange will break.  But, if the flange does break, the ring will hold all the pieces in place so that the bike is ridable until the shell can be replaced.

I think that bike shops can install rings that are smaller that are installed using heat to expand them, but I do not remember where I heard that.  I believe that those smaller rings are only sold to shops and not consumers.

crg

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2022, 05:46:40 am »
I am a newbie to gear hubs.
Posted here for suggestions from experienced folk.

I know of no bikes with gear hubs sold here.

PH

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2022, 08:21:23 am »
All hub flanges can break, forged ones are less likely than machined ones, so Shimano are possibly a little less likely than Rohloff. But it's pretty unlikely even with a Rohloff, even less so in recent years. If you crack a flange on any other hub it's game over, there's no market for re-shelling a Shimano when you consider the price of a complete replacement.

martinf

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2022, 09:41:02 pm »
Thinking about using homemade rings for alfine and nexus hubs.
1. Is it worth using these rings for other than Rohloff hubs?

I wouldn't bother. Never had any problems with Shimano Nexus hub flanges.

To me the most probable failure modes of the 7 and 8 speed Shimano hubs seem to be:

- water getting in through the large right-hand bearing. This was a problem with older versions, newer versions have better seals. Two solutions for this (i) regular regreasing. I use a"waterproof" grease designed for use on outboard motors. (ii) fitting an oil port and using synthetic oil instead of grease. This mimics the old Sturmey Archer hubs, where the slow leaking of oil outwards tends to stop water entry.

- internal damage due to bad adjustment (check this regularly) or a worn cable sticking (inspect and replace as soon as it seems a bit sticky).   

The first version of the 11 speed Alfine was reported to have a lot of internal failures, which put me off trying it. Probably corrected in later versions. But cable adjustment still seems to be more critical than on the 7/8 speeds.

If you crack a flange on any other hub it's game over, there's no market for re-shelling a Shimano when you consider the price of a complete replacement.

Except if you run several, in which case cannibalisation is possible. A few years ago the Nexus 8 Premium hubs were available on offer at about £60, at that price it isn't worth trying to source the hard to find and relatively expensive spares for Shimano gear hubs. I bought several hubs, including two I intended to cannibalise for spares. As I have not yet needed to do that, one has since been fitted to a bike.