Author Topic: New Chain fitted to Raven  (Read 8702 times)

Andre Jute

Re: New Chain fitted to Raven
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2019, 11:12:05 pm »
They just followed up with this:

Do you know we have a more durable set up for your Rohloff bike?

http://www.kmcchain.eu/10000km+

Thanks Brian. Indeed very interesting. I'm a big believer in systems groups. (There are also some I hate, like the soft, quick-wearing Shimano Nexus crank/fixed chainring/chain/sprocket system. If one part of a system group is bad, chances are the other won't be much chop either.)

It seems to me the recent comment on the forum, that this sudden concern on the part of manufacturers that poor overstressed quick links should be used only once was inspired by the legal department rather than the longevity lab, is on the nose. KMC previously made a marketing point about the reusability of their quick links, supplying only one with each chain because it was supposed to be good for the life of the chain, no matter how often you opened and closed it for cleaning the chain. Now, suddenly, you're supposed to use them only once...

mickeg

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2019, 01:27:22 am »
It seems to me the recent comment on the forum, that this sudden concern on the part of manufacturers that poor overstressed quick links should be used only once was inspired by the legal department rather than the longevity lab, is on the nose. KMC previously made a marketing point about the reusability of their quick links, supplying only one with each chain because it was supposed to be good for the life of the chain, no matter how often you opened and closed it for cleaning the chain. Now, suddenly, you're supposed to use them only once...

I was unaware that KMC said to only use once.

I assumed the other brands said you should only use once so that you would have to buy more quick links to improve the profit margin so that the big shots could get bigger bonuses, it had not occurred to me that the legal dept proposed that.   Hmmmmmm.  I still think the big shots wanted bigger bonuses.

Have not flipped sprocket yet, the photo is about 1200 miles (or about 1800 km) ago. I think I will flip it when I change chains next time.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2019, 02:41:37 am »
Thinking of Dan here, the KMC 42x20 setup is roughly the same as 36x17.
Thanks, Martin; a good thought indeed!

I am currently running 1/8in sprocket and chainring on my Fixie which I use rather more than expected. It is a converted 1970 road racer with long-ramp Campagnolo 1010 dropouts that allow plenty of room for tensioning the chain. The bike is setup for a perfect 42mm chainline with no deflection.

I started with 3/32in gears and a compatible derailleur chain, then swapped in the 1/8in chain and found immediately better life, but it is hard to know if that is due to the larger bearing surface area or due to construction or metallurgy. I played around a bit on spacing out the chainring to see how tolerant the wider 1/8in chain would be and found to no surprise it will tolerate some misalignment when paired with the narrower chainring and sprocket. The third iteration I'm running now is a full 1/8in drivetrain and if is showing the least wear as expected. Fixies are pretty hard on chains because they see tension under braking as well as under drive. I'm using the bike a lot on rides in hilly terrain and even on singletrack for up to 200km day rides and find it surprisingly good and amazingly versatile for such a simple setup.

I've been thinking about someday switching to a 1/8in setup on my Nomad and may do so at some point but I think the current setup will last "long enough" with reversing to still be a good value, so I'm in no hurry to convert. I did switch to the Rohloff slim splined carrier and have been pleased with the result so far. It sure will make reversing the cog while on tour an easy task but I heartily agree with George about the value of periodically removing the carrier to relube the threaded interface with anti-seize.

Still hoping Hebie will someday come out with a Chainglider to fit my present 36x17 setup so I can convert at minimal cost without having to invest in a new chainring and sprocket.

Best,

Dan.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2019, 08:26:10 am »
Chainglider to fit my present 36x17 setup so I can convert at minimal cost without having to invest in a new chainring and sprocket.

But will the Chainglider take the new threaded slim line rear sprocket?
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

martinf

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2019, 07:58:41 pm »

I reckon probably yes. The rear part 350R S15 is specifically for Rohloff splined sprockets sizes 15 to 17.

But the Hebie website doesn't state whether the standard or slim line carrier should be used.

DAntrim

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2019, 08:19:10 pm »

Hi Matt

I have the slimline fitted on the mercury with 17 / 38 combo, the chainglider fits fine so no problems there

Carlos

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2019, 09:10:56 am »

Hi Matt

I have the slimline fitted on the mercury with 17 / 38 combo, the chainglider fits fine so no problems there

Carlos

Many thanks. For some strange reason I thought that the new rear sprockets would throw out the line to the front ring and make the Chainglider incompatible.
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

martinf

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2019, 05:31:32 pm »
Many thanks. For some strange reason I thought that the new rear sprockets would throw out the line to the front ring and make the Chainglider incompatible.

That would be the non-slimline carrier, the chainline with this is further out than with the threaded sprocket. So two possible Chainglider issues here:
(i) the rear part might foul the chainstay (it probably would on my Raven Tour which is pretty close anyway)
(ii) if the chainring stays in the same place, the misalignment might compromise Chainglider use. So would probably need a different bottom bracket axle or use of spacers under the fixed cup (thinking traditional square taper bottom brackets here).

Another point is that AFAIK the rear part of the old Chainglider for Rohloff is not compatible with the current splined sprockets and the rear part of the current model Chainglider for Rohloff is not compatible with the old threaded sprockets