Author Topic: Want somewhere to ride in France  (Read 2880 times)

GeoffBroom

Want somewhere to ride in France
« on: August 15, 2007, 06:55:37 pm »
Hello All
My wife and I are looking for somewhere nice to ride in France on our brand new Raven Discovery which is absolutely superb.
We want about 1000Kms of pretty rural countryside without too many big hills ( as our combined ages add up to 132)
Last year we rode on a hired tandem in the Loire Valley and loved it.
We do not want to take part in an organised cycle holiday because we prefer to do our own thing. Sightseeing is not a big cobsideration.  We just want to ride and ride and listen to the birds.
Can any one help?
regards
Geoff and Rachel

lewis noble

Re: Want somewhere to ride in France
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 10:25:34 pm »
One of my favourite areas is the Jura, near the Swiss border.  The Haut Jura can be quite hilly, but lower down, around places like Doucier, Clairvaux, Poligny, often known as the Pays du lacs, the hills are rolling and gradients quite gentle.  I have had several lovely holidays there and love it.

Have a good time!!

Lewis

stan

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 09:16:25 am »
Riptoff was very pleased with his ride........... go to 'canal des deux mers' on this forum.

You will find that cycle touring in France was made for us 'oldies', especially if you follow the canals and rivers.

Fred A-M

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 05:56:17 pm »
In my opinion, its almost easier with France to state which areas to avoid: the industrial north east, the Landes (ok if you like cycling along straight flat roads through uniform pine forests) and the agricultural plains of central france are a bit dull.  

As per Canal des deux mers, if you're completely adverse to hills, you could always try the Nantes to Brest canal and incorporate a trip to Britanny or the western coast, the only downside about these places is that they are more touristy and more expensive along the coast.  

I'd also agree with Lewis ref the Jura which could incorporate Alsace, Doubs, Beaujoulais and Bourbonne as regions within reach.  

If you're not adverse to doing a few hills (as opposed to low-level mountains) my personal recommendation would be to check the out the following areas: Dordogne, Limousin and Correze: lots of peaceful rolling countryside and woods with a high level of coincidental historical interest and picture postcard villages.

Lonely Planet and Ciccerone guides to cycling France are both excellent if you're still having difficulty making up your mind.  Good luck!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 05:57:31 pm by Fred A-M »