Author Topic: Thorn Raven Tour 512L - Rohloff Speed hub 500/14 - Green - FOR SALE  (Read 3148 times)

Brompton Ash

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum so please be gentle!

For sale is my Thorn Raven Tour 512L with Rohloff Speedhub 500/14 which I recently bought with the sole purpose of cycling Eurovelo 6, planned for this summer. The bike is in very good condition and recently having a service, with new chain and brake pads. There is a few small scratches here and there but hardly noticeable.

Unfortunately, I didn't do my research properly as the bike is a little too small for myself being 5ft 9. So I've put it up for sale to you guys first before it goes on sale on eBay later this week.

Specifications are as follows:-

- Thorn Raven Tour 512L 969 Cro-mo alloy frame (Serial No. 10015)
- Rohloff Speedhub 500/14 (Serial No. 124463)
- Shimano Deore Front Hub
- Shimano Deore V Brakes
- Thorn 170mm Crank
- MKS Sylvan Pedals (Toe Cage included)
- Thorn 42T Front Ring
- Rohloff 14 Speed Twistgrip Gear Selector
- Schwalbe Marathon 26 x 1.50 Tires (Nearly New)
- Ergon GP1 Handlebar Grips (Slight Wear)
- Thorn Straight Handlebars
- FSA Headset.
- Thorn Seatpost
- Prologo Q Saddle
- Profile Design Drink Holder

The bike also comes with its owners manual, rohloff speedhub manual, rohloff speedhub warranty card (26/05/2010) and spare rohloff springs and cable parts....I also have an old blackburn MTN rear rack if the buyer would like it included.

Well this will teach myself that N+1 isn't always good. I'm asking £1100 for the bike and I'm based in Nottingham.

Pictures to follow.....I'm having  difficulties reducing the file size to 512Kb.

Many Thanks,
Ashley 07985 443459

Brompton Ash

Re: Thorn Raven Tour 512L - Rohloff Speed hub 500/14 - Green - FOR SALE
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 09:16:43 pm »
First set of photos.

Brompton Ash

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2019, 09:18:47 pm »
2nd set.

Brompton Ash

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2019, 09:20:43 pm »
And one more

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2019, 10:21:35 pm »
I'm new to this forum so please be gentle!
Welcome to the Forum, Ashley!

All good luck on the sale.

Best,

Dan.

in4

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2019, 11:04:27 pm »
Welcome and good luck with your sale. Concerning sizing: I spent a long time thinking that a 565L Nomad was the  correct fit for me. A visit to Bridgewater and a fitting resulted in me buying a 590L Nomad. Visiting Thorn HQ proved to be a good decision. I drove down the M5 in the early hours to avoid traffic but there is a train station within walking distance of the SJS shop,  if that's a better option

Brompton Ash

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2019, 12:00:10 am »
Yes.....lessons learnt....I made a rash decision, but I think now I'll just buy another thorn which will fit better, so I may just pop over and get measured up although I wouldn't be able to buy a new one I think.....probably out of my price range.

But many thanks.

lewis noble

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2019, 12:47:33 pm »
Hello Ashley . . . . yes, a visit to confirm sizing to Bridgwater would be an excellent help.

What were you planning to use in place of the Raven?  I don't know what your budget is, but bear in mind the possibility of settling on the frame size, getting just a new frame and transferring the components.  There will be additional incidental expenses, longer cables probably needed on a larger frame for example, but worth a thought., see if you can sell the old frame.

In my experience, the team at sjsc build and assemble to a v high standard.

Lewis

Brompton Ash

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2019, 04:57:10 pm »
It maybe an option to pop down with the bike and get measured up for a new frame I suppose....maybe they could do the transfer too?

I'll have a think....

lewis noble

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2019, 06:01:27 pm »
Yes, they could transfer all components . . . Cost is £120 according to website, including the new cables that are likely to be needed on a larger size. As I say, my experience  is that their bike-build skills are very good, I have had a total of 5 Thorn bikes (!!) and all have been trouble free, in contrast to bikes owned by other family members.  A few years ago, I bought a Ripio that was on offer - a discontinued model, on offer at attractive price.  2 yrs later, I was doing more road and less trail riding, and had most of the components transferred over to a  new Sherpa frame - I've never had to do anything to the bike apart from routine maintenance, mainly due I reckon to sound basic componentry and good building. 

To me, the cost of getting SJSC to do the build was worth every penny.  And I think that with a Rohloff bike, that would be even more important; proper installation, cable setup, eccentric etc of a Rohloff is quite a learning curve if you are not accustomed to them, and few bike shops have worked with them.

Good luck

Lewis

P.S. 5 bikes??

1)  Raven Tour, purchased 13 yrs ago when I thought I might get into cycle camping etc.  Seemed a good idea at the time.  I never did as much 'heavy-duty' work as I was planning to, and I was never 100% happy with the fit - Thorn now acknowledge that many older riders, or those with more upright styles, may prefer short frames even with flat bars.  Bike was sold to a guy who rode it to Vietnam.

2)  Discovery tandem.  My wife never really took to it, felt I rode downhill too fast!!  But we had some good trips in Scotland and Finland on it.  Now on permanent loan to friends.

3)  Ripio - lovely bike, fitted it with a solid instead of suspension fork.  But my needs changed, bike was transmogrified into

4)  Sherpa, lightweight spec - components transferred by SJSC.  Still got the bike, very good.

5)  Audax, no 18 months old.  Prefer it for the almost exclusively road riding I do now.

Lewis

PH

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2019, 01:21:59 pm »
What were you planning to use in place of the Raven?  I don't know what your budget is, but bear in mind the possibility of settling on the frame size, getting just a new frame and transferring the components.  There will be additional incidental expenses, longer cables probably needed on a larger frame for example, but worth a thought., see if you can sell the old frame.

If you still think the Raven is the bike for you, then Lewis's idea is probably the best way into getting exactly what you want for a still considerable saving over the new price. 
When I sold my 4 year old Raven frameset, in 2009 I asked £250 and could have sold it several times over.
I'm less sure about the need to pay for the components to be switched over, workshop and mechanic time is expensive, rightly so.  There shouldn't be any compatibility issues, the Raven is a very simple bike to work on, the frameset already has the headset fitted, you only have to remove one crank to swap the EBB, it's all stuff you could do with knowing for maintenance and if you pay the extra few quid to have the frame prepped it'll all be ready to go together. 
Used touring bikes never seem to fetch their real value, though Thorn's and Rohloffs do better than some, I think it's just the way enthusiasts buy, I change stuff around quite often but rarely buy a complete bike.