Author Topic: Inner cable length  (Read 2983 times)

fmt3

Inner cable length
« on: May 19, 2019, 07:47:19 am »
I’m about to replace the cables on my Thorn Raven. I don’t have the special tool to measure the length of inner cable when it appears from outer. Thorn and Rohloff videos differ in method used.
What is the correct method of measuring the length for internal shift?

PH

Re: Inner cable length
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 11:30:18 am »
There's more than one correct method, if you cut it in the right place that's correct!
Choices are - cut by measuring, either with one of the tools (there's been a couple over the years) or a ruler, the measurement will be there somewhere if you google it (I have an idea what it is but won't say in case it's wrong!) OR - cut it against the fitting coming from the hub subtracting 5mm for the other side of the bayonet fastener.  I always used the latter method, it's more intuitive to me, the only thing to watch out for is you don't move the shifter while you're doing it, Thorn recommend taping it up, choose for yourself if you think that's necessary.
Main thing is to take care, but don't be too nervous of it, a few mm either way can be adjusted out, the one time I cut it short (Silly error, I subtracted the 5mm twice!) I just cut a bit off the outer and all was well.

fmt3

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 05:35:11 pm »
Thanks for the advice.
I’m confused by the two videos. One measures from the tip of the bayonet when cable is pulled to it’s stop and the other adds 5mm!

PH

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 05:49:28 pm »
Thanks for the advice.
I’m confused by the two videos. One measures from the tip of the bayonet when cable is pulled to it’s stop and the other adds 5mm!
Sorry - which videos?
This is the only one I've seen, follow it and you won't go wrong.  The inner is cut 5mm short of the hub side bayonet fitting, that's the space the bayonet fitting you attach to it takes up. 
https://youtu.be/GKwpd2VSDP4