Author Topic: Optimus or MSR fuel bottles  (Read 6261 times)

in4

Optimus or MSR fuel bottles
« on: June 03, 2019, 04:11:25 am »
Does anyone know if Optimus and MSR  fuel bottles are  interchangable?  I need one for my Optimus pressurized fuel stove and find the MSR ones are more readily available where I am in N. Australia.

Thanks

https://www.primus.eu/shop/primus-omnifuel-P328989/

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen

in4

Re: Optimus or MSR fuel bottles
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 08:54:27 am »
Many thanks Dan. I found that link prior to posting too! As the stove in question will take a  gas cartridge I was wanting a .6l fuel bottle as a back up option but  needed to be sure that the diameter of the bottle neck and cap, and  screw thread were the same. Exploding stoves I do not like. Brings back memories of a double petrol burner
 Incinerating itself on a Welsh mountain side back in the day.

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 01:13:22 pm »
I don't think that Primus and MSR fuel bottles are interchangeable. I have an Optimus Nova + multi-fuel stove. My older style Primus bottle was leaking due to a dent at the mouth of the bottle. On my last tour I spent a while in a large German outdoor sport shop trying both Primus and MSR fuel bottles with the Optimus Nova + fuel pump. The MSR thread is different to the Primus and was not a good fit.

I think that the Optimus and Primus threads are the same, so I bought the Primus (they did not stock the Optimus fuel bottle). I have had no problems since. Primus was sold as a company Optimus a long time ago so there is shared history including fuel bottle design.

This thread supports my findings ...

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/gear/primus_mf_stove_and_msr_fuel_bottles-33902
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 01:15:10 pm by StuntPilot »

mickeg

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 05:38:49 pm »
I pretty much agree with StuntPilot.

MSR and Optimus bottles I have found to work on Optimus Nova stoves.  And I have used both Optimus and MSR bottles on Primus stoves (1st generation Omnifuel and a 2014 Express Lander).

But I bought a new Primus bottle in 2014, it did not work on anything other than my Primus stoves.

But I have much older Primus bottles bought perhaps over two decades ago that worked with everything.

So, Primus bottles made in the past few years appear to be the thing to avoid unless you only will use Primus stoves.

in4

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2019, 02:39:18 am »
Many thanks for the very useful responses. A universal 'standard fitting' would make a great deal of sense but  the marketing bods would have one less point of differentiation to highlight. Now, where can I find a SVEA 123? Rhetorical only :)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 01:52:35 pm by in4 »