Author Topic: Kickstand on a Nomad or a Raven anyone?  (Read 31630 times)

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles
Kickstand on a Nomad or a Raven anyone?
« on: May 09, 2019, 11:50:05 am »
See the link below, this part will work on any Thorn Nomad or Raven with the Thorn Rohloff dropouts.  It only works with a KS18 ESGE stand.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gear-spares/thorn-dropout-adaptor-with-kickstand-mount-18-mm/

This WONT void your Thorn frame warranty, many of our reservations still apply, you could break this adaptor or the stand if overloaded, but importantly this wont damage the bike frames integrity in any way!

Adaptor is £39.99, stand £14.99.  If you call me 01278 441505 as a limited offer until 31/05/19 you can have free UK mainland postage.

See we do listen, its just these things take time to come up with workable solutions, prototype, testing, and final production! 

[Topic made sticky for reference. - Dan.]
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 04:44:00 pm by Danneaux »

julk

Re: Kickstand on a Nomad or a Raven anyone?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 12:51:17 pm »
Dave,
not promising to buy one, but
I have tapped the bolt holes from 5mm to 6mm in the rear dropouts on my Rohloff expR.
Would this kickstand adapter cope with 6mm bolts and possibly need some work to get them in?
Julian.

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 01:42:04 pm »
I have tapped the bolt holes from 5mm to 6mm in the rear dropouts on my Rohloff expR.
Would this kickstand adapter cope with 6mm bolts and possibly need some work to get them in?
Julian.

You would have to drill the two fixing holes out, the one top left in the picture might be a bit close to the edge... worth a shot though.

julk

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 04:27:36 pm »
Dave,
many thanks for the fast reply.
Julian.

mickeg

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 09:57:39 pm »
If any of you install a rear mounted kickstand like that, one thing to keep in mind.  If the front wheel is allowed to roll and if the rear of the bike rolls forwards, the bike can roll off of the kickstand as the kickstand folds  up.  It is worst if the front wheel is turned to the right because then the left side of the bike can move farther than the right side.

If on flat ground, not an issue, but if on sloping ground it can be an issue.

I have tried a variety of things to act as a parking brake for my front wheel.  One thing I have tried is those elastic bands that some women use to bundle up their hair, the wider bands can have enough strength to hold the brake lever against the handlebar, but it does not grip it tightly, only a small help.  Those bands are big enough that I double it on the handlebar for storage.

I have also used a velcro strap, see first photo.

A friend of mine cut a piece of inner tube to function as a band, but I never could quite get it right.

One time near a bike stand I saw a piece of elastic on the ground, picked it up and it was sewn to work perfectly for that purpose.  It is stored on the right side of my handlebar in the second photo.

You do not think it will happen, until it does.  So, when you park the bike, think about the potential for the front wheel to roll.

Even if your rear wheel is locked so that it does not turn, if the front wheel is perpendicular to the rear wheel, the front of the bike could roll to the right and the kickstand can still fold up.

If any of you have used a Clickstand, you already have practice in locking your front wheel.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2019, 12:04:10 am »
I have tried a variety of things to act as a parking brake for my front wheel.
George,

For the last decade or so, I have use BikeBrake bands to hold my brake levers shut. I usually have two sets on my bikes...one for the interrupter levers along the tops of my drop handlebars and another for the regular brake levers on the drops themselves (I use either, not both; the second set is just a matter of convenience and redundancy). They've not stretched in all this time, nor have they degraded or cracked from the high UV levels I've exposed them to in my desert tours. They stay stored nicely in place on the handlebars till you need them, then are easy to pluck off by grasping the little tabs molded into one side. They are really strong and secure and grip the levers tightly resulting in some real braking of the stationary rims. They are available in various colors to mix or match as desired: https://bikebrake.com/

Best,

Dan.

Smiffy

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2019, 02:29:12 pm »
Dan , that’s such a good idea, I googled BikeBrake, but unfortunately they don’t appear to market them in the UK.

lewis noble

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2019, 06:01:23 pm »
I had a look too, Smiffy . . .  no actual outlets, but can be mailed from US by look of website??  Though cost starts going up . . .
Lewis

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2019, 11:10:56 am »
When you buy a click-stand you are supplied with some bike-brakes which are small loops of elastic chord with a plastic closure. Scroll down here to see a picture ...

http://www.click-stand.com/products-and-ordering.html

I have been using them for years and they last a long time. You could make your own with there plastic closures and some good quality 3-4mm elastic chord and these clips ...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Zip-Zipper-Loop-Cord-end-Lock-Elastic-Shock-Bungee-Rope-For-3-4mm-New/222622147085?var=521466154653&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20160323102634%26meid%3D883e5742bbdf41b089f15d169a8e9dde%26pid%3D100623%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D331036858391%26itm%3D521466154653&_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1

Oggi

• D-JAC Limited
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2019, 11:27:02 am »
I made my own “clickstand” with an old tent pole which uses the same grade of tubing. I used a bungee cord from the same tent as a brake elastic. It stores along the top tube using the Velcro that holds my pump. It locates under the nose of my saddle when holding the bike upright. I used an old (found) walking pole rubber end stuck on with sugru.

mickeg

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2019, 06:21:02 pm »
I mentioned above that I often use hair elastic bands, these are the ones I use.  But this store only exists in USA.  In the store, a ten pack is one US dollar.  The fat ones like in the photo work best. 
https://www.dollartree.com/basic-solutions-jumbo-clasp-free-elastics/25318

I am sure you can find similar products elsewhere. 

I wrap it around the handlebar twice, it is too big to stay stored on the bar if I do not double it.  Depending on how tight my cables are, sometimes I have to double it over the brake lever but if the lever is farther from the bar then only once over the brake lever.  But it does not make the brake REALLY tight, so if the ground has quite a slope, I put the bike somewhere else. It is best for ground that has very little slope.

I suspect that most of the time when I use it on a tour is when I stop to take a photo, I am still standing over the bike, kickstand up, but the front wheel wants to roll to the side so I try to lock the front wheel so I can take the photo without keeping one hand on the bike.

It is not a good photo, a black elastic band over the brake lever with a black handlebar bag in the background, but you get the idea.  This is on my folding bike, I use a bit of tent pole to prop up my bike like a clickstand.  The band is wrapped twice around the handlebar but only once around the brake lever, I store it on the handlebar when not in use.

Disregard that part of the brake lever is black, I have wrapped the brake levers on a couple of my bikes with the old fashioned cloth handlebar tape that was commonly used several decades ago to give better grip when wet and to make it feel better when it is really cold outside.

energyman

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2019, 09:41:41 pm »
I use a bit of Velcro, works wonders.
(Other Hook & loop type things are available !)

energyman

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2019, 09:43:04 pm »
I use a bit of Velcro, works wonders.
(Other Hook & loop type things are available !)

Oh I forgot - Click Stands rule OK !!

John Saxby

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2019, 02:02:20 am »
+1 for the Bike Brakes which Dan mentioned. In my experience, they're the best purpose-built brake-lever locks which live on the handlebar. (I found the ones which came with my click-stand didn't work so well.)

Two problems with the Bike Brakes:
>   they are susceptible to UV rays.  I've found that they degrade over a couple a couple of seasons.  So, if you buy them, buy several at a time.
>   they do only one thing, even though they do it very well indeed.  You can't use them for anything else.  (In that sense, they're a bit like Sidi cycling shoes, shod with Look/keo cleats.)

As a backup/alternative, I use these 4" QR rubber ties, which I've praised elsewhere on this forum:
http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/page.aspx?p=65393&cat=2,43319,33283 Wrap the tie twice around the bar and the lever, hook with the crescent-shaped "anchor", and voilà!  These things have multiple uses, cost but 25¢ each, and last indefinitely, so far as I can see.