Community > Thorn General

Kickstand on a Nomad or a Raven anyone?

(1/7) > >>

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop:
See the link below, this part will work on any Thorn Nomad or Raven with the Thorn Rohloff dropouts.  It only works with a KS18 ESGE stand.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gear-spares/thorn-dropout-adaptor-with-kickstand-mount-18-mm/

This WONT void your Thorn frame warranty, many of our reservations still apply, you could break this adaptor or the stand if overloaded, but importantly this wont damage the bike frames integrity in any way!

Adaptor is £39.99, stand £14.99.  If you call me 01278 441505 as a limited offer until 31/05/19 you can have free UK mainland postage.

See we do listen, its just these things take time to come up with workable solutions, prototype, testing, and final production! 

[Topic made sticky for reference. - Dan.]

julk:
Dave,
not promising to buy one, but
I have tapped the bolt holes from 5mm to 6mm in the rear dropouts on my Rohloff expR.
Would this kickstand adapter cope with 6mm bolts and possibly need some work to get them in?
Julian.

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop:

--- Quote ---I have tapped the bolt holes from 5mm to 6mm in the rear dropouts on my Rohloff expR.
Would this kickstand adapter cope with 6mm bolts and possibly need some work to get them in?
Julian.
--- End quote ---

You would have to drill the two fixing holes out, the one top left in the picture might be a bit close to the edge... worth a shot though.

julk:
Dave,
many thanks for the fast reply.
Julian.

mickeg:
If any of you install a rear mounted kickstand like that, one thing to keep in mind.  If the front wheel is allowed to roll and if the rear of the bike rolls forwards, the bike can roll off of the kickstand as the kickstand folds  up.  It is worst if the front wheel is turned to the right because then the left side of the bike can move farther than the right side.

If on flat ground, not an issue, but if on sloping ground it can be an issue.

I have tried a variety of things to act as a parking brake for my front wheel.  One thing I have tried is those elastic bands that some women use to bundle up their hair, the wider bands can have enough strength to hold the brake lever against the handlebar, but it does not grip it tightly, only a small help.  Those bands are big enough that I double it on the handlebar for storage.

I have also used a velcro strap, see first photo.

A friend of mine cut a piece of inner tube to function as a band, but I never could quite get it right.

One time near a bike stand I saw a piece of elastic on the ground, picked it up and it was sewn to work perfectly for that purpose.  It is stored on the right side of my handlebar in the second photo.

You do not think it will happen, until it does.  So, when you park the bike, think about the potential for the front wheel to roll.

Even if your rear wheel is locked so that it does not turn, if the front wheel is perpendicular to the rear wheel, the front of the bike could roll to the right and the kickstand can still fold up.

If any of you have used a Clickstand, you already have practice in locking your front wheel.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version