Author Topic: Squeak after riding in the water  (Read 3728 times)

jul

Squeak after riding in the water
« on: May 07, 2019, 07:07:09 pm »
Hi,
I rode my bike under a torrential rain fews days ago. The water was at the level of wheels axles sometimes.
And Since, at each stroke of the pedals, i heard a squeak even after lubricating the chain.

Is there a risk about my bottom bracket ? And what about my  Son dynohub and Rolhoff speedbox ?

Thanks

PH

Re: Squeak after riding in the water
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 11:59:45 pm »
For the Rohloff - give it an oil change, there's a possibility some moisture has got in and it really isn't worth the risk not flushing it out.
The SON hubs are pretty well sealed and short of sending them back to Germany there isn't a lot you can do anyway.  Mine have been through floodwater a few times and it hasn't affected them.
You don't say what sort of BB you have? if it's a sealed unit, you may have shortened it's life, but they're a relatively cheap consumable.
What would concern me is water in the frame, I'd drop the BB and seatpost out leave it somewhere warm overnight and re-grease both before putting them back in.  If you have an EBB it'll be easier to drop that out than the BB, I'd do both, stuck BB's are no fun to deal with.
Whenever I have access to an open tube I squirt some ACF-50 down it.  Some may consider that unnecessary, but it does no harm.

jul

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 09:29:16 am »
Thanks for your advice, i will check this today..
My bb is a Shimano UN55 of memory.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 09:36:20 am by julio »

jul

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 07:57:51 pm »
I just found a little condensation inside my eccentric bottom bracket, nothing inside my frame (seat tube), nothing inside my Son dynohub axle, and only remove a drop of water from my speedhub...
I have to check tomorow my MKS pedals

jul

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 07:02:37 pm »
Nothing inside my pedals.

Happy, the Squeak has disappeared, but i didn't know where it came from   ::)

geocycle

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 07:44:55 pm »

Pleased all is well. Could have been the chain or anything. If you have any concerns the hub was submerged I would do an oil change. If the oil comes out brown and has a smell it has probably taken water in.

jul

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2019, 01:46:02 pm »

Pleased all is well. Could have been the chain or anything. If you have any concerns the hub was submerged I would do an oil change. If the oil comes out brown and has a smell it has probably taken water in.

I did it already, a perfect and slow drain (I saw a drop of water between an air bubble and dirty oil)

I do not regret having anticipated several oil flask before my trip.. ( i transferred the Rolhoff oil into E-liquid flask, each contains about 13-15 ml)

« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 01:53:48 pm by julio »