Community > Non-Thorn Related

Fly with a bike

(1/3) > >>

jul:
Hi all,

I'm planning to carry my Nomad ( size 565L) by plane. I would like to know if it's possible to respect cardboard box dimensions : 158 cm (lxLxh) ?

Maybe somebody has already done.. thanks

in4:
I got my 590L Nomad into a bike box 150 x 80 x 20. Had to take the forks off,  turn the bars and take pedals off. Including panniers, tools etc I'm under 32kgs

PS photograph your forks including spacers before you take them off.

jul:
150x80x20= 250 (cm)

It seems impossible to respect 158 cm lxLxh

Now i understand the interest to have s&s couplers ...

Matt2matt2002:
I fly with a large Raven (!) 587L  frame.
Never taken the forks off but have a high riser so used the top of a second box to make an extra part that sat on top.
Doable but looks a mess.
Photo everything, inside and out. Always useful if problems on arrival.
I've flown 8 times. Never had box size measured. Turkish airlines mostly.

mickeg:
Some bike shops put the pedals on REALLY tight.  It is a good idea to make sure that they are loose enough several days in advance that you can get them off so you are not in a panic in the last minute when packing.

If you can leave the fork on, make sure you use the plastic thingy that goes in the dropouts so that the forks do not puncture the bottom of the box.

A friend of mine reassembled his bike, put a bunch of stuff on hand tight and later used a wrench to tighten, but he forgot to wrench tight his pedals.  Cost him a new pair of pedals and crankset when one pedal started to unthread and he messed up the threads.

I put the attached on my phone.  And also the other attached on my phone so I can refer to them if I need to.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version