Author Topic: Claim YOUR BRAGGING RIGHTS here!  (Read 3643 times)

Andre Jute

Claim YOUR BRAGGING RIGHTS here!
« on: April 12, 2019, 01:53:46 am »
If you get exceptional wear from components, have an extra-long day in the saddle, sleep out in -10C, whatever you do that is notable, this is the place. Photographs tell a thousand words, but we'll believe you anyway if you don't have a photograph. It's a pity that Stu is gone, because he got exceptional mileage on his chains.

Andre Jute

Re: Claim YOUR BRAGGING RIGHTS here!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2019, 01:54:12 am »

You're looking at a Rohloff sprocket at 10K+ kilometres. That's the first side; it hasn't been turned. I reckon it will make 30K kilometres easily on both sides.

It is so little worn because it has spent its entire life in fully enclosed chain covers, first Utopia's theoretically superior but fragile Country, then the hardier but still elegant Hebie Chainglider. In addition, I throw off chains well before they reach the 0.75 stretch commonly thought permissible, so my sprocket isn't worn down by ill-fitting chains.

steve216c

Re: Claim YOUR BRAGGING RIGHTS here!
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2022, 02:15:45 pm »
Rather than posting bragging rights on my knees (seeing as many of your are older than me) I thought I'd revive Andre's thread and post my running gear replaced yesterday.

Bike was purchased 2nd hand with 10,000km + (distance guessed but not known) where I reversed what I believe to be the original sprocket and recorded 14,027 km on the pictured reversed cog/sprocket using the chain shown. I would suspect total use of original chain wheel and sprocket is likely to be in excess of 25,000km but possibly 30,000km +

If only my bike shed were bigger on the inside...