Community > Tandem Talk

Great divide trail

(1/3) > >>

Molesontour:
Has anyone done it on a Tandem?. I have a Thorn Raven Discovery Tandem, no worries about the frame  it's taken loads of miles offroad with no problems.  We are looking to do it in 2021. My main concern is getting the luggage weight down low enough. We will be carrying a Hilleberg tent not the lightest. Any recommendations for sleeping bags and mats? we will also require a water filter and parts of the trail could require food for 5 days.

With this in mind I need to be ruthless with the gear we will be taking, I think 95% is off road so the bike will be getting some punishment. I have an older Rolhoff  hub need I worry about possible flange failure? and I am using Andra CSS rims they seem pretty tough, but unsure what sort of tyres to use, the larger the better.
I know its not recommended but I have been using a Rock shocks Argle fork for a number of years with Hope V2 disc and it's been fine, I quite like the idea of trying to use these as some of the surfaces are going to be rough. Any ideas

Mike Ayling:
G'day Mole

Which continent are you looking at?

We have one of these in Victoria Australia which has just been used for a race.

Mike

Molesontour:
Hi Mike,

It's In America and it's about 2500 mile + so a lot of strain on components.

Best regards

Phil

Mike Ayling:
That's a lot longer than ours, Phil!

Mike

Molesontour:
I think the biggest problem will be rear tyres I have tried Marathons etc and they always split next to rim after about 800 mile. It doesn't seem to matter what pressures I use.
It does get used a lot off road. Next to that the hub flanges, my Rohloff has had some abuse I have ridden the Tandem off road in the Dolomites and the Alps on terrain the Tandem was never really designed for and its been Absolutely faultless apart from the torque bracket thing twisted and it was replaced free of charge with an upgraded part.
My first rear rim split in two, it was a downhill Mtb rim, this was supplied and built by a Bike buider in Yorkshire who shall remain nameless it had beem spoked incorrectly! I wondered why I was snapping spokes.

I rebuilt the hub myself with an Andra Rolhoff rim from SJS about 7 years ago and it's never had a broken spoke or gone out of true. I am thinking of putting the rienforcing rings onto the hub just as a precaution as I don't know if the orginal spoke lacing may have stressed the hub body

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version