Author Topic: Can I remove the Nexus 7 hub from a bent wheel?  (Read 2877 times)

oconnelm

Can I remove the Nexus 7 hub from a bent wheel?
« on: April 03, 2019, 03:21:30 am »
I've been using this hub for about a year, and I like it fine. The wheel somehow got bent enough to be visible out of true, too much I think for a spoke tuning. So is it possible to remove the hub and install it in a new wheel? If so, how tricky is it? Thanks in advance.

Prince of Darkness

Re: Can I remove the Nexus 7 hub from a bent wheel?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 11:31:30 am »
Should be no problems in having the hub built into a new wheel. Only thing I would suggest is making sure that the spokes on the new wheel are orientated the same way as the old with regard to the hub, but that would be the same for re-using any hub :)

mickeg

Re: Can I remove the Nexus 7 hub from a bent wheel?
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 04:56:57 pm »
Is your question - is it something that a wheel builder can do?  Or is your question is - is it something that you can do?

I have put new rims on wheels a couple of times, but I know how to build wheels.  And if the new rim is the same brand and model (or same ERD and spoke pattern), I have also re-used the same spokes.

A couple years ago I bought a used dynohub wheel at a great price, but I wanted a wider rim on that wheel.  I found another rim with nearly identical ERD and spoke pattern, I taped the new rim to the old rim, and moved the spokes over, one at a time and re-trued it up.

In your case, if the wheel is bent, maybe the spokes should not be saved?  I have only re-used the spokes if I had no reason to question the existing spokes.