Technical > Wheels, Tyres and Brakes

Front wheel removal

(1/3) > >>

JanieB:
Good morning Thorn enthusiasts

I need to find out if I am doing something wrong please.

We both ride Nomads and they have pannier racks both front and back. When removing the front wheel I cannot get the axle past the racks without actually pulling them apart with force. This means it becomes a two person job and I just do not feel comfortable doing it. Surely that is not normal?

Any help here please. Was thinking  the other way would be to take the whole quick release skewer.

martinf:
With the Thorn front rack I always remove the skewer to remove or refit the front wheel.

JanieB:
It Martin

Thank you, it looked like the most obvious solution to me too.

lewis noble:
. . . that was my experience with front racks on a Raven Tour and Ripio as well - removing skewer only takes a few seconds.  Biggest worry is making sure you don't lose the springs etc with cold hands in grass!

Lewis

PH:

--- Quote from: lewis noble on March 24, 2019, 10:54:57 am ---. . . that was my experience with front racks on a Raven Tour and Ripio as well - removing skewer only takes a few seconds.  Biggest worry is making sure you don't lose the springs etc with cold hands in grass!

Lewis

--- End quote ---
Worry not ;)
The only purpose of the springs is to push the ends out to clear the dropouts.  Once the wheel is fitted the springs are out of the way and do nothing.  No need to take my word for it, here's Sheldon

--- Quote ---The quick release still works without the springs, but installation of the wheel is more difficult because the skewer must be centered by hand before the axle will slide into the dropouts.
--- End quote ---

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/skewers.html

I've had bikes where the skewer needs to be removed to get the wheel out, in those cases I've thrown the springs away, they're just a nuisance.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version