Author Topic: Fitting Bob Yueh Low-riders to Thorn Club Tour  (Read 3173 times)

horizon

Fitting Bob Yueh Low-riders to Thorn Club Tour
« on: April 02, 2019, 05:54:01 pm »
Has anyone else managed this using the movable clip on the low part of the low-rider? It seems impossible to make the three fixing points work in such a way as to achieve a horizontal fit. I might have similar problems in the past but it's a while since I fitted a pair (and not to this bike).

The lo-riders are standard AFAIK and the same as Blackburn.

Any tips or suggestions?

https://www.pedalpedlar.co.uk/products/bor-yuer-vintage-low-rider-pannier-racks

mickeg

Re: Fitting Bob Yueh Low-riders to Thorn Club Tour
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 08:08:32 pm »
I had a set of Blackburn racks on a Long Haul Trucker.  That bike had the mid-fork mounts in the center of the fork which is common for non-Thorns, not in front of the fork which is the norm for Thorns.  I have had trouble getting other racks setup with a horizontal bar on my Thorns for that reason.

I attached a photo of the setup I had, but I no longer have it.  You will notice that on the Blackburn there were conical shaped depressions drilled into the diagonal brace and the sheet metal bracket that went around that brace had a corresponding point punched into it to keep the brace from sliding.  It appears that your rack lacks those depressions that the Blackburn had.

Not sure if this is any help, but it gives you an idea of what it looks like on another bike.

horizon

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2019, 10:04:53 pm »
Thanks very much for that mickeg. The Club Tour has the eyelet behind the fork (where the mudguard eye normally is). I can only presume that the rack expects it to be where it is in your picture. All the measurements are the same between this one and a Blackburn on another bike. The diagonal bar actually covers the eyelet at every angle so something cannot be right.

horizon

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 10:12:44 am »
I just wanted to flag this up again as I imagine that there must have been hundreds of Club Tour owners over the years who have used front racks of some sort - after all that is what the Club Tour was designed for. So unless I have a rogue fork or a rogue rack, this problem must be endemic either with Bor Yueh racks or all low riders.

Any more experience/feedback would be welcome.

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 03:32:50 pm »
The Blackburn racks used to come with a silver tube and a longer bolt so you could use rear bosses, do you have those?