Author Topic: Possible alternative to the Clickstand?  (Read 7789 times)

Andre Jute

Possible alternative to the Clickstand?
« on: March 12, 2019, 10:01:59 pm »
A painter I know on the net bought a bike to ride to painting locations in the desert she has just moved to. The bike, which I eyeball as a real load carrier, has BB-chainstay-crossbrace filler place with a hole in it for the stand, but she's not impressed by low stands of any variety. Instead she bought a shooting bipod designed for heavy rifles; it weighs 19 ounces. You can see her innovative solution copiously illustrated on her bike at Rebecca's Stand -- unfortunately you may have to sign in (it isn't the sort of place that sends spam or sells your email address) but if you don't want to sign in, here's a page of pibods from the simple to the ultra-complicated: Rifle Rests Galore

As a matter of interest, other painters I know who ride their bikes to their plein air assignations with destiny (or at least self-expression), requiring stabilisation for a lot of gear -- the Americans even more than I carry --, are perfectly happy with the sturdy ESGE-Pletscher stands of either one or two feet, mounted low down behind the bottom bracket or on the chain stay near the back hub.

PPS Dan, I imagine stands are about as "General" as "Technical" gets, but by all means move the thread where you think it will fit better.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 12:42:57 am by Andre Jute »

mickeg

Re: Possible alternative to the Clickstand?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 11:52:18 pm »
The link asked for login and password, I do not need to see the photo that much.

I cut down an aluminum tent pole and used a couple of trekking pole rubber feet for a substitute for a click stand for my titanium bike.  I also have to stop the front wheel from turning, using elastic on the brake lever for that.  But my tent pole method only works where the seat stays join the seattube in a way that it forms a pocket for the pole to be inserted into.  Thus it would not work on my Nomad where the seatstays are welded to the sides of the seattube.

On the tent pole, cut the sections short enough to fit in my handlebar bag.

Andre Jute

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 12:44:23 am »
Sorry about that George. I've altered my original post and also added another way to see many rifle rests.

John Saxby

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 06:02:43 am »
Nice job, George.  I've thought of doing something similar, though my shock-corded Clickstand still does the job quite well.

Since I began using Revelate Tangle frame bags when I'm touring, and occasionally on day rides as well, I've found that it's handier to just slip the Clickstand into the frame bag. A frame bags swallows the 4-section 'stand breaken neatly in half.

I've found that the Clickstand works reasonably well on my Raven: the triple control cables on the underside of the top tube (2 Rohloff & one rear brake) help keep the halfmoon bracket of the Clickstand in place, even if mounted midway along the top tube.

Not quite as dramatic as a rifle rest, Andre: but then, I don't have much experience with those devices.  A lifetime ago, when I last used a rifle, it was my dad's 7mm Mannlicher, and that was light enough that even a youngster could manage it.

Andre Jute

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 08:22:01 am »
I knew what a rifle rest is -- something used in competition for target shooting at huge distances -- but I had no idea there were so many different types available. Where I come from people generally shoot standing up at what appears out of the bush charging from usually about fifty feet or less away, or lie on the ground and form a rest with their elbows to pick off buck (springbok) not quite knee-high at a thousand feet and over.

But George's mutated tentpole will do equally well and besides is clever.

B cereus

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 03:30:41 pm »
I repurposed a workstand handlebar holder as an improvised clickstand. It's also handy, when used as originally intended, for lifting the bike onto the roof of the car. It prevents the handlebars flopping round. I leave it attached when motoring,  as it prevents the steering oscillating in the breeze.

There's a not very clear picture here.

Oggi

• D-JAC Limited
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 04:19:36 pm »
I too have a home made clickstand made from a destroyed Terra Nova Voyager tent. The stand is made from two sections of pole and the brake from one of the bungee cords that were originally guy lines. A found plug from a walking pole is used as a foot and it props under the nose of the seat. It stores under the crossbar alongside my pump and weighs nowt. See photo.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2019, 08:14:56 pm »
It is not particularly difficult to carve a cradle end from aluminum to use atop pole sections for a prop stand.

I made this one in a few minutes from start to finish to replace the nylon one on my Click-Stand. A little handlebar tape sticks in the cradle to protect the paint.

Best,

Dan.

Andre Jute

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2019, 12:49:34 am »
And very nice it is too, Dan.

Mmm, I've just acquired a little lathe, hardly more than a toy to keep me amused until the wretched rain and gale stop and I can cycle again. It's like a grownup's Transformer, the metal lathe mutating into a wood lathe, vertical and horizontal mills, a jigsaw, and a sander and grinder. More like Lego than Mechano, actually; everything that isn't black is red (including the grease!), and it all fits together with expanding friction pieces in V-channels. If I like the 24W model, maybe I'll upgrade it with the 60W metal components also available. Beyond that, I probably need a man in a white coat to operate flycutters and suchlike dangerous gear. But meanwhile I might turn something simple in ali for my bike, like a seat post clamp, and a pen in wood or brass for my desk.

mickeg

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2019, 10:45:19 am »
My machine shop capabilities are a hand held Dremel moto-tool.

Bill

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2019, 11:59:54 pm »

Well you can probably do it, but it will take a bit of time to reproduce Dan's cradle with a dremel.

Andre Jute

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2019, 09:15:59 am »

Well you can probably do it, but it will take a bit of time to reproduce Dan's cradle with a dremel.

Especially if you're powering it with bike's hub dynamo!

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2019, 07:04:48 pm »
Not having a lathe or anything, I use a walking/hiking stick. I tuck the handle under the saddle and lean the bike on it. Works particularly well on soft ground like grass verges. Also pretty handy for when I want to swap the bike for walking boots ;)

Cheers,
Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!

energyman

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2019, 07:54:06 pm »
Good on yer Janet !!

Andre Jute

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2019, 04:14:44 am »