Author Topic: Thorn Accessory T bar  (Read 5048 times)

fram

Thorn Accessory T bar
« on: March 03, 2019, 04:25:37 pm »
I'm thinking of fitting one of these to get my Ortlieb bar bag off my Audax handlebar.  Has anyone had problems with their brake cables?  Which length T bar would you recommend?
Thanks.

mickeg

Re: Thorn Accessory T bar
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 06:13:41 pm »
I had no problems.  I use drop bars. 

But if you do not say anything about your bars, or stem length, or why you think brake cables would be a problem, we can't really comment on lengths or potential incompatibilities.

It would replace about 25mm of spacers on your steerer tube.  I got the shortest length, if my memory is correct that is 55mm.

julk

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 06:25:11 pm »
Here is what the shortest one looks like under straight bars.
Julian.

fram

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2019, 09:07:43 pm »
Thanks for the responses.  The brake cables are quite tight near the Ortlieb fitting on the handlebar so the 10cm T bar may be needed to extend the fitting away from the cables, if you see what I mean. 

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2019, 10:13:09 pm »
Fram,

If you would like to see a direct comparison of the 55mm and 105mm Thorn Accessory T-bars, you can find it in a photo on my Danneaux's Nomad gallery page here:
http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=4523.msg22081#msg22081

I fitted several of the T-bars in various lengths so I could best decide on length for my accessories, handlebar bag, and Rohloff shifter.

Best,

Dan.

rualexander

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2019, 10:49:00 pm »
I would suggest the longer one.
I tried the shorter one for a while but was hitting my knees on it when pedalling out of the saddle on hills.
Depends on your top frame size and leg length too I suppose.

John Saxby

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2019, 02:18:44 am »
I have two T-bars on the steerer tube of my Raven -- see the photo below.

The upper T-bar, just below the stem, holds my Rohloff shifter on the right side, and my bell on the left.  That's the T-bar with the shorter "trunk", 55 mm.

The longer T-bar is the lower of the two. (There's a spacer between them.) This T-bar holds the mounting brackets for my Arkel handlebar bag -- not mounted in this photo.  This might give you a sense of where an Ortlieb bag might sit if you used the longer T-bar.

fram

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2019, 08:57:57 pm »
Thanks again all.  I will probably go for the longer T bar to take the bag out beyond the brake cables, like yours John.

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2019, 07:17:17 pm »
Hi,
I use the longer one on my Audax (drop handlebars) and I also have one on my Raven Sports Tour (straight handlebars) and have no problem with either. I use a Carradice Carradry bar bag with them.

Cheers,
Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!