Author Topic: Searching for old Review  (Read 2653 times)

PhilD28

Searching for old Review
« on: March 12, 2019, 09:36:44 am »
I hope someone can help. I'm trying to get hold of a copy of an old cycling plus review  called "When the tough get going" that compares a Thorn Nomad (Derailleur) with an Orbit Romany and a Roberts Roughstuff. There's one linked in the old documents above but the link leads to a dead page.
Maybe someone hase downloaded a PDF copy?

I own all three of the bikes in this test so the review is mostly out of curiosity as I know exactly how well each one performs after using them for the last 15 years.

For anyone interested, in my opinion, for loaded touring there's not much in it. The last few years I've favoured the Orbit for European tours as it's slightly livelier even with a camping load, although for this years 3 months around Europe I might take the Nomad. I was going to sell it but have decided to hang on to it, a great bike, mine's a fillet brazed Reynolds 725 Derailleur version made in the UK.

thanks
Phil

ridgeback63

Re: Searching for old Review
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 03:53:00 pm »
Glad you decided to keep her :)

PhilD28

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 04:01:52 pm »
Thanks Nick, I pulled it out to check the sizes as discussed and the frame is like new, almost perfect paint and beautiful workmanship. For how much you get for them second hand it's barely worth selling. I reckon a custom fillet brazed expedition frame in 725 would cost close to £1500 these days.
Hope your low riders continue to give good service.

Phil

ridgeback63

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 07:09:01 pm »
Thanks Phil,they certainly will,good luck with the build,and will you put some pictures up when you are done please?

PhilD28

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 10:05:23 am »
I will Nick, although my last attempt at posting photo's failed miserably, when I get time I'll sort out what went wrong. It's half built up already, just need to sort out a few bits after I decide which bike I'm taking on this years trip. Fortunately I have loads of 26" wheels as I build my own and have been stocking up in case rims get a bit harder to source with the growth of 650B, 26" is getting marginalised.

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 08:11:17 am »
I've got that review as a .pdf email me dave@sjscycles.com and I will send it you as an attachment