Author Topic: Fitting Tubus Duo Lowriders to an Audax  (Read 4035 times)

RST Scout

• Janet
Fitting Tubus Duo Lowriders to an Audax
« on: April 05, 2019, 11:58:21 am »
I want to use my Audax to tour. I already have Tubus low rider (Duo) front racks but of course the Audax doesn’t have mid-fork bosses. Reasearching I found ‘LM-1 MOUNTING SET FOR FORKS WITHOUT EYELETS’. It says they are for all Tubus racks except the duo but I reckon that if I get 2packs and only use the sides with the screw hole on it would work (one front screw mount on each side of fork). What do you lot think?

Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!

MarkT3

Re: Fitting Tubus Duo Lowriders to an Audax
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 02:54:28 pm »
I wouldn’t!

I think the reason they advise against use with the duo is there will be nothing to stop the clamp rotating on the fork and the bags going into the wheel.

A Tara would be ok with the over wheel hoop.

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 04:41:20 pm »
Mark,
Surely the oval shape of the fork would prevent any rotation?

Janet

Scout & Bettina's slave!

lewis noble

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 06:10:50 pm »
Janet, what about a bar bag? 

Personally, I'm not too keen on the large boxy bar bags that some people use, for which you would probably also need an accessory bar.  But I have very successfully used a small saddlebag (the smallest in the Carradice range - Zipped Roll Bag) on the bars, fits well (I suppose depends on bar width) and allows easy use of existing light fittings etc. 

Holds a useful amount, a bit fiddly to get on and off, but that's an advantage in terms of security, no special fittings needed.  I did need longer straps than standard, but easily available from Carradice.  Worked well for me.

Lewis

mickeg

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2019, 07:16:26 pm »
I certainly am one to try to use what I already own, but sometimes that plan is not the best.  I think you need a different rack.

Of the Tara and Ergo (both Tubus), I own both of them and I think the Ergo works a bit better with Ortliebs.  If you have panniers other than Ortlieb, I have no comment on which would be better.  I just checked, it appears the Ergo is no longer in production but might be available at some retailers.

I do not have an Audax, so I am not sure how the brakes are fitted.  Are there cantilever brakes on the front of the fork?  If so, if you can find a Tubus Smarti rack, that might work great.  I believe the Smarti is no longer in production, so it might be hard to find.  SJS does not list it on their site, but google shows it is out there elsewhere.

rualexander

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2019, 08:45:46 pm »
If your Audax (presumably a mk3R version) doesn't have rack bosses then the forks are probably not designed for pannier carrying, best to check with Thorn, and I would agree with MarkT3 above that mounting a Duo rack with nothing to stop rotation might be risky.
Better to get a set of original Audax mk3 forks which do have pannier carrying capabilities https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/forks/43-700c-thorn-audax-mk3-steel-fork-matt-black/
In any case, the mk3, even with the forks above, can't really carry much in front panniers, lightweight stuff only.

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2019, 01:35:57 am »
Janet, what about a bar bag? 

I’m way ahead of you Lewis. I’m using a Carradice bar bag on a Thorn accessory bar. Fraid it’s a boxy one but one I can get my camera bag in and it has a map pocket on top :)
Can’t get much else in tho once the camera is in🙄 but I will insist on taking a “proper” camera with lenses.

Janet

Scout & Bettina's slave!

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2019, 02:03:45 am »
Rual/Mick,
The Audax is a mk3 with mk4 forks. I know technically I shouldn’t put a rack on but the way I see it is that for years I toured with an old Raleigh Weekender Lady. That didn’t have bosses on the fork either and I find my Audax is a very similar ride to the Raleigh and looks very similar (apart from having a crossbar which makes it stronger). I fitted a low rider rack to the Raleigh, Blackburn I think, using an enclosed U shaped bracket (with massive bolts!) and which I shamelessly overpacked. I probably got away with it because I am/was so light. I was hoping the Audax would cope as well as my old bike. I can’t use the old rack because the Ortlieb’s wont fit on it. I don’t intend to put anything heavy in the front anyway as I don’t want to make it too heavy to ride😏

Janet
Back to the drawing board I guess😕
Scout & Bettina's slave!

mickeg

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2019, 12:44:53 pm »
Over a decade ago it was pretty easy to find cheaply built aluminum front platform racks that mounted at the fork crown and fender mounts on or near the dropouts.  That type of rack is not ideal because it puts the panniers up much higher, but it is a way to hang front panniers on the bike.  But, I have not seen a new one for years.

I did some internet searches, similar racks are still made but are much more expensive and much better built. 
https://velo-orange.com/products/vo-constructeur-front-rack

But unfortunately, those racks might coast almost as much as a new fork that has the proper mounts for your Tubus Duo that you already have.  And your Duo being a low rider rack would likely have better handling than mounting the panniers up on the platform.

Thus, maybe you need a new fork.

If you get another fork, I suggest you get the headset race installed when you buy the fork so it is ready to go.

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2019, 06:57:36 pm »
Thank you all for your valued advice. I think the Duo’s are going back on my RST which does have the requisite bosses. Looks like I’ll be using my Carryfreedom City trailer with the Audax to keep the weight off the bike. It’s good enough for a full monthly shop so I guess it will do to carry camping stuff.

Cheers,
Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!