Author Topic: Martinf's new Thorn  (Read 19908 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Martinf's new Thorn
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2015, 08:13:39 am »
Wonderful, Martin!

Your RT looks the business, for sure, and your wife's is a lovely build as well. So glad you got to use the Thorn on this tour and it performed well. I'm reminded greatly of my Nomad -- same color and of course the same bags. Looks really good!

All the best,

Dan.

Andre Jute

« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2015, 10:19:50 pm »
Amazing how organized and integrated luggage for two crammed onto one bike can appear in the hands of an experienced tourer. Nice work, Martin.

martinf

Martinf's new Thorn
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2019, 01:19:33 pm »
A few additions and modifications to my touring Thorn Raven Tour.

As I like them on my Raven Sport Tour I fitted 44 cm wide compact bars, with a longer stem to compensate. I added an ABUS frame lock, which I find very useful on my old utility bike. And I replaced the reliable Schwalbe inner tubes with Vittoria latex, in the past I have found latex tubes add a bit of comfort and reduce rolling resisitance slightly, at the expense of long-term durability and the requirement for frequent topping up of pressure.

Finally, I am experimenting with a B&M Cyclostar mirror. The best mounting position I have tried so far is bar-end (see photos). The mirror is very easy to see when riding on the hoods, acceptable when riding on the tops, but not in the right position (my head is lower) and blocked by my arms when riding on the hooks.

It doesn't interfere with any of my hand positions, but is easy to knock out of alignment when parking the bike.

And I have to park the bike on the right-hand side, which scuffs up the Rohloff shifter I have mounted on the right-hand bar end.

mickeg

« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2019, 02:38:22 pm »
I see you started with the Hubbub adapter.  I tried a few other shifter locations before I got smart and got the Hubbub.  I am quite happy with that choice.

martinf

« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2019, 07:48:54 pm »
I see you started with the Hubbub adapter.  I tried a few other shifter locations before I got smart and got the Hubbub.  I am quite happy with that choice.

I had been using bar-end shifters since sometime in the late 70's/early 80's on my previous derailleur tourer. I still have them on my lightweight 700C bike, my only remaining bike with a derailleur system.

I tried the accessory bar mount when I built up my Raven Sport Tour, but after a while moved to Hubbub on that bike as well.