Author Topic: arm warmers with UV protection  (Read 4289 times)

in4

arm warmers with UV protection
« on: February 17, 2019, 04:33:28 am »
Anyone used so called arm warmers for UV protection?
I'm looking at a few brands, some of which are used for various sports e.g. golf.
I'm debating whether to buy a pair, to use with conventional cycling tops or to simply buy an outdoor pursuit type shirt with high UV protection and foregothe cycling specific tops.
Any takers?

E.G https://www.sparms.com.au/products/sparms?variant=12157899735109#shopify-product-reviews
PS sorry about the profanity associated with tees and small sphericals ;D
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 04:35:24 am by in4 »

rafiki

• rafikiPHOTO
Re: arm warmers with UV protection
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 06:54:02 am »
Interesting. I am surprised there isn't a 'Splegs' product too. I would like that for the summer sun here.
Brian.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 08:05:06 am »
I'm debating whether to buy a pair, to use with conventional cycling tops or to simply buy an outdoor pursuit type shirt with high UV protection and forego the cycling specific tops.
I use these "sun sleeves" for my desert tours and summerlong riding and find them very effective and well worth the USD$20 I spent for each of my two pairs several years ago. Compared to my purpose-made SPF (sun/UV-filtering) longsleeve jerseys, the sleeves do offer greater versatility and allow me to pretty effectively convert my standard Lycra jerseys to "sun jerseys" (depends on the fabric's weave and thickness).

The sun sleeves save me from carrying and applying as much sunscreen as I would without them and they are more effective. However, I do find them to be a bit warmer despite being made of the same Italian wicking yarn as the SParms. While the sun sleeves do block the sun's direct rays, they also block the wind so there is less evaporative cooling for my sweat then if my arms are bare. On the other hand, I do feel cooler while wearing full-spectrum sunscreen than with bare skin but I have to carry and apply a lot and it is messy and transfers to stuff it shouldn't.

Although I have used Pearl Izumi's offerings, my favorite remains the now discontinued Novara line by US outdoor co-op REI ( https://www.rei.com/product/898814/novara-sun-sleeves ). They are rated at SPF 50 as are the SParms models you linked to, Ian. My favorite purpose-built sun-protection jersey came from Brazil; my others are as effective but not as nicely finished, came from a US discount cycling supplier, and have now been discontinued. Light colors are cooler. I prefer hi-viz yellow but white is also good.

A cheap, effective and surprisingly longlived alternative is the cut-off legs from a pair of women's tights (pantyhose you can acquire from stores along the way; cut off the trunk and toes). Usually hard to source in summer when you need them, so it pays to plan ahead and buy some during the wintry months. The closer weave of heavier tights are most effective but again -- like sun sleeves -- warmer due to reduced airflow.

One thing to keep in mind -- I prefer to ride in summer with full-zip jerseys. If they are left too open, you can still get sunburned from light reflected from the road surface.
I am surprised there isn't a 'Splegs' product too. I would like that for the summer sun here.
Brian, if you do an eBay search for "Sun Legs", you'll find some. Same idea as the sun sleeves but for legs. The arm versions are pretty inexpensive on eBay also and equally efficient. Look for them under golf apparel.

Best,

Dan.

j-ms

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 09:24:12 am »
An alternative is long sleeve technical shirts.  The ones we use have a UPF of 35 (and even more on the shoulder area) and we never need to use sunscreen on our arms.  The brand we buy in South Africa carry the K-Way name but I have bought a similar one Chile last year that had the Kilamanjaro name on it.   I find them far more comfortable than cycling shirts.  They are far more resistant to building up a pong and they wash and dry easily.  To increase cooling in hot climates (we are currently touring through SE Asia) I open a few buttons in the front and leave the sleeve buttons undone.  My shirts also have two zips on the front that open up to a meshed pocket to allow even more air flowing through.  They are not as aerodynamic as cycling shirts but they work well for touring.

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 10:43:43 am »
Castelli UPF 50+ arm sleeves look like they will do the job. A review here ...

https://road.cc/content/review/243991-castelli-upf-50-light-arm-skins

They also produce leg sleeves too.

mickeg

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 02:25:37 pm »
I usually just use sunscreen, nothing else.

A friend of mine did a cross country (coast to coast USA) tour three times.  On one of those trips (maybe his first?) he bought a white cotton dress shirt in a discount store and started wearing that when it was sunny, hot and dry.  And he has been doing that for years now.

While I would avoid cotton on humid days, on dry days it can be pretty comfortable.  I am sure that white cotton shirts do not have a high sun protection factor, but with some sunscreen they should do well. 

I was jealous that I had not thought of that on the hot sunny dry day in West Texas last spring when I took the photos.

John Saxby

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2019, 03:23:05 pm »
As a member of The Spotted Tribe/The Celtic Diaspora/Me'n'Rod Laver, I wear long-sleeved cycling jerseys throughout the summer.  Of these, there are many, but I have found that Ground Effect in New Zealand offers the best combination of fit, durability, breathability and value.

GE offers a dual-fabric (merino inner/polyester outer) for slightly cooler temps -- for me, this works well up to 26 - 27 degrees.  Above that, I use their single-fabric item.

I use both of these for cycling in Canajan summers. We have lots of sun, happily, but also fairly manageable temps, rarely above 32-34.  I also use the lightweight items on our visits to 'Straya's Gold Coast in the Feb-April period, where  daytime temps are usually betw 25 & 35 (occasionally higher), and the UV index is off the standard-issue charts, i.e., 11 for "a normal summer day".

Plus, the usual other bits & pieces flexi-muff/skullcap under my helmet, with long tail covering the back of my neck; loadsa sunscreen everywhere; cycling knickers to cover my knees; most of the time, knee-high compression socks (which I have to wear anyway, 'cos of DVT problems in the past. 

Breathability is everything -- I help keep the merino industry going :)

jags

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2019, 06:49:44 pm »
well not that we get sun here in Ireland but if we are lucky enough i'd just use sunscreen . 8)

John Saxby

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2019, 06:52:12 pm »
not that we get sun here in Ireland

Anto, ya gotta get Rual to come visit, with his trick camera -- it generates sun all the time, even in the highlands & islands of Scotland  ;)

jags

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2019, 08:19:16 pm »
not that we get sun here in Ireland

Anto, ya gotta get Rual to come visit, with his trick camera -- it generates sun all the time, even in the highlands & islands of Scotland  ;)
[/quote

not a bad idea John ;D ;D