Author Topic: Rohloff sprocket wear  (Read 20553 times)

John Saxby

Re: Rohloff sprocket wear
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2019, 01:49:20 pm »
All this takes the notion of a "bodge" to another level entirely.

Maybe it's time to declare an award for a particularly inspired workshop creation? -- say, the "Danneaux Bodge of Honour"?

Andre Jute

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2019, 03:09:01 pm »
Maybe it's time to declare an award for a particularly inspired workshop creation? -- say, the "Danneaux Bodge of Honour"?

You're wicked, Mr Saxby.

John Saxby

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2019, 04:48:52 pm »
:)

Desperate times call for disparate measures, Andre ;)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2019, 01:41:55 am »
 ;D

Best,

Dan.

Mike Ayling

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2019, 07:23:14 am »
From this thread it would appear that not many have converted/upgraded? to the splined sprocket driver.

True or false?

Mike

martinf

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2019, 07:47:15 am »
Probably true for those that like myself have already got the splined sprocket and some spare threaded sprockets.

Given the slow rate of Rohloff sprocket wear, I am unlikely to need the upgrade.

The only reason I can see for me changing would be if I undertook a really long expedition type tour outside Europe, and in this case I would probably also want to change to a Nomad.

mickeg

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2019, 10:43:14 am »
From this thread it would appear that not many have converted/upgraded? to the splined sprocket driver.

True or false?

Mike

I have not and won't for a long time.  Still on my original sprocket that is now six years old. 

When the spined system first came out it had a significantly different chainline than the threaded sprocket.  I did not want that change on my bike, so I bought a spare threaded sprocket.  Later, Rohloff came out with a thin splined sprocket carrier which had a much smaller change in chainline compared to the threaded sprocket.  If I had known that the slim version was coming, I would not have bought the spare threaded one.  But I have it so, no reason to change.

I have several bikes and most of my distance ridden each year is on derailleur bikes.  Thus, not much wear on the Rohloff sprocket.

I suspect there are high mileage riders and low mileage riders, of those I am a low mileage rider when it comes to my Rohloff.

And there are owners that change chains much more frequently than others, high mileage on a worn chain will wear out the sprocket much faster.

On this particular forum, there are a number of owners that have installed a fully enclosed chain case (I do not recall name or brand) and those appear to enhance chain life greatly, presumably the sprocket life also benefits.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 03:07:47 pm by mickeg »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2019, 02:41:07 pm »

True or false?
Probably True for the majority of owners currently running threaded sprockets that aren't worn out, but those are no longer available so the switch is inevitable for all.

I converted to the Rohloff "Slim" splined carrier when it became available and have been pleased. It does allow for easy field removal using only a thin bladed screwdriver instead of the chain whip, Rohloff holder and large wrench needed for the threaded version and this was the prime incentive for me. I do carry a spare circlip on tour in case mine is lost and wear eye protection when removing it in case it goes flying. I would suggest removing the carrier periodically to regrease the hub threads to prevent galling, though it seems unlikely people will remember to do so. To remove the splined carrier, just leave the cog and circlip in place as remove as you would the threaded version. I do still carry the Rohloff remover on long tours in case I need to remove the carrier for some reason, as it is unlikely I would find this tool at all bike shops.

For more see: http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=12731.msg94736#msg94736 ...and the links in that post.

Best,

Dan.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2019, 05:22:52 pm »

True or false?

Mike

On this particular forum, there are a number of owners that have installed a fully enclosed chain case (I do not recall name or brand) and those appear to enhance chain life greatly, presumably the sprocket life also benefits.
Chainglider.
I've used one on my Raven for 4+ years.
38*17 rings
I don't have my chain and maintenance stats to hand but I am sure the life of chain and sprockets have been greatly improved.
Plus no greasy marks on trouser legs!
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

jul

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2019, 12:37:19 pm »
I decided to replace my sprocket after around 18000 kms. Finally my chain was rusty, so i removed chain and sprocket and only reverse my Surly chainring.
Everything works perfectly and without noise transmission !

Andre Jute

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2019, 02:54:33 pm »
I decided to replace my sprocket after around 18000 kms.

18K is impressive by itself. Congratulations, Julio.

But I'm just wondering if, push come to shove and needs be, that sprocket didn't have further impressive mileage in it.

jul

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2019, 04:29:13 pm »
Yeah but it could do more ! maybe 5000k more..

If i compare with a German couple that i met on my way, and who never change chain as i do (every 4-5000 kms), they did only 9000 kms...

mickeg

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2019, 04:56:51 pm »
That sprocket might have more life in it, but I suspect that any new chain used on that sprocket would wear out much faster than a new chain on a new sprocket.  Thus, the most economical solution is probably to replace the sprocket now.

Did you use a replacement threaded one or upgrade to the splined system?  If splined, any initial thoughts on that?

jul

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2019, 05:07:19 pm »
 It's what i did, remove sprocket and chain.. and i kept the old version sprocket, actually one i have left.

Andre Jute

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2019, 07:08:22 pm »
Yeah but it could do more ! maybe 5000k more..

If i compare with a German couple that i met on my way, and who never change chain as i do (every 4-5000 kms), they did only 9000 kms..

Valuable data points. This information confirms my belief that replacing chains relatively early is the most economical way of handling a Rohloff transmission.