Technical > Transmission

Rohloff sprocket wear

(1/11) > >>

jul:
As you can see on the pics one sprocket is new and other is well worn (around 16000 kms).
But i'm planning to ride again with the used one and it is for that reason it don't want to change my chain by a new one (usually i replace chains every 5000 kms), i think it is no longer necessary.

Until which limit it is better to replace the sprocket ?

geocycle:
A new chain would not be compatible with that worn sprocket. I would continue to use the old chain and sprocket until you have problems of the chain falling off, then I’d change both together. You should also consider your chain ring and I would probably reverse it when you fit the new chain and sprocket.

jul:
Fine, i'm going to do like that.
Otherwise, when i replaced my last chain (5000 kms ago) i had a horrible noise of transmission, probably the problem came from my sprocket..), the noise has disappeared around 200 kms later.

martinf:

--- Quote from: geocycle on February 17, 2019, 10:22:59 am ---I would continue to use the old chain and sprocket until you have problems of the chain falling off.

--- End quote ---

Or perhaps the teeth on the sprocket breaking off.

Another thing to consider is having the tools/spares to do the sprocket/chainring/chain change. The most difficult step will be removing the rear sprocket, it might be easier in a place where you can find a garage with a large vice or a really big adjustable spanner rather than somewhere out in the wilds.

mickeg:

--- Quote from: martinf on February 17, 2019, 10:35:17 pm ---...
Another thing to consider is having the tools/spares to do the sprocket/chainring/chain change. The most difficult step will be removing the rear sprocket, it might be easier in a place where you can find a garage with a large vice or a really big adjustable spanner rather than somewhere out in the wilds.

--- End quote ---

I do not know if this is a valid assumption or not when dealing with bike shops in developing countries, but I assume that most bike shops will have a large wrench or vice and will have a chain whip.  But, I assume they will not have the special Rohloff tool for sprocket removal, so I carry that Rohloff tool but not the other stuff.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version