Author Topic: V-brake centering screws?  (Read 3559 times)

rafiki

• rafikiPHOTO
V-brake centering screws?
« on: February 02, 2019, 01:22:39 pm »
I am about to overhaul the V-brakes on my Sterling. New cables and outers, pads, noodles etc. When it's all apart where is the best start position to set the small centering screws at? I guess about half-way but just wondered if there is a special point.
Brian.

lewis noble

Re: V-brake centering screws?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 02:54:28 pm »
Hello Brian

When I have done that, I have started off at the half-way point, as you suggest.  And yes, I have also replaced noodles etc as you plan to do.

The main problem I have found is the centering screws being seized in - and impossible to shift without stripping or damaging the screw head.  But that has mainly happened on cheaper brakes, and/or fitted on neglected bikes - not happened on any of my Thorns.  I usually put a spot of copper slick on to reduce likelihood of it happening. 

Lewis

rafiki

• rafikiPHOTO
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2019, 04:59:26 pm »
Thanks Lewis. Fortunately the small screws are moving reasonably freely but I have always thought them slightly  tight to adjust though not bad enough to damage the heads. I take your point and will remove them completely, clean them and the holes before putting them back with a spot of anti-seize.
Brian.

lewis noble

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 05:58:03 pm »
Good luck! initially I was worried in case anti-seize would make them work loose and fall out . . . but that has never happened. I think copper slick or similar does not encourage stuff to work loose, a well-maintained thread works best.  But I have got into the habit of checking very frequently that all centred up ok - adjustment so easy once you get the hang of it.

mickeg

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2019, 06:37:03 pm »
Those tiny little centering screws on V brakes, a year ago one was unusually tight on one of my brakes so I used a bit more effort, ... which broke part of my XT brake.  I do not recall if it was a spring stop or what, but it was a very small piece of metal that cracked right off.  So, if it seems to need more force than you would expect, be very careful.  I had to buy a new brake unit, this time I bought a Tektro.

rafiki

• rafikiPHOTO
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2019, 07:12:27 pm »
Thanks for the heads-up.
Brian.