Community > Rohloff Internal Hub Gears

Replacing Rohloff shifter cables...

(1/3) > >>

rafiki:
Another job on my to-do list. I have the external mech. The process is well documented but I just wanted to ask: how difficult is it in practice to wind the cables onto the ex box pulley? It looks a bit fiddly. Any tips?

mickeg:
You will need a T20 wrench to open it up.  I think that some have had problems with dissimilar metal corrosion on the threads and had trouble getting the bolts out.  It might be useful to just check to see if they will unthread ok before you start so you know in advance if that will be a problem.

The cable end goes into a very small hole, you need a clean cut on the end of the cable to make sure that the cable can be inserted.  Thus a good cable cutter is needed to make a good cut.

I do not recall what wrench size the set screws take, but I did not need to go searching for a tool so it probably is a common size on a good multi-tool.

Keep track of which cable is which.  On one or maybe two occasions my first gear was gear 14 on the shifter.  Thus, I had to switch cables.

And put a bit of grease into the box when you are done.

I do not recall if I put any loctite on the bolt threads that hold the box together or not, but I might have done so to reduce the potential for dissimilar metal corrosion.

rafiki:
Thank you. Good points, especially about checking that the box can be opened before committing. I just checked my torx screws and they are free. Much appreciated. Do you find winding the cables around the pulley easy?

mickeg:
I had no problem with winding the cables on the pulley wheel.  I probably turned in my adjustment screws so that I had excess cable to play with.  Since I put some grease in the box, the parts were rather greasy so things likely slipped out of my fingers a few times.  But I probably spent no more than a couple minutes doing it.

I used a plastic drinking straw cut to the right length (is it 200mm?) for my cutting guide, did not buy the metal tube that is sold for that.

If you are still unsure, you could check and see if there are any youtube videos that show it.

I always forget to leave my shifter in gear one or 14 before I remove my box from teh hub, but the first thing you might want to do is know what gear your hub is in before you start.

rafiki:
The Rohloff video shows the winding around the pulley and it doesn't look too difficult. The Rohloff manual suggests slipping the pulley onto an Allen key to support it whilst winding. The reason I asked is I recall some comments on another thread, that I can't find now, which led me to believe it was a tricky operation. I appreciate those further tips. Thanks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version