Author Topic: Replacing cables and outers in the field  (Read 2617 times)

sm1234

Replacing cables and outers in the field
« on: December 26, 2018, 10:33:24 am »
I set out into the unknown on my rohloff equipped bike, carrying everything I thought I needed, but which unfortunately didn't include spare cable outers or 1.1mm inners (I did have a couple of Shimano cables). As I've been touring in developing countries, availability is limited, so I just have to make do with what I can get. I have replaced either inners or outers or both 3 times now and they seem to fail way too often. I'm going to mail order from Europe now. Can you tell me what are your ultimate cables and outers? Should I just get Shimano originals? Or do you find something else better?

Andre Jute

Re: Replacing cables and outers in the field
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 03:34:01 pm »
Actually, "Rohloff cable sets" are available.

Why not just ask SJS to send you a set of whatever they use when they replace Rohloff cables? On this page you'll find both available lengths: https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/search/?term=rohloff%20cable

Or if SJS is closed over the holidays (I don't know if they are)... This is where I got my long wheelbase cable kit: https://www.bike-components.de/en/s/?keywords=Rohloff%20cables -- I think it might be the second one on the first line on that page; note that it is offered in two lengths.

In either case be sure to ascertain whether the kit includes the necessary ferrules. If not, you have to order them extra. They're on the pages already referenced.

mickeg

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 09:41:35 pm »
You did not say which type of hub, the internal gear cable type or the EX box type hub that you have.  And you did include any information on your failures.  Etc.

I have never had a cable outer housing fail, but I have on a couple of occasions had dust and dirt get into a cable outer near an end where I had to try to clean it out because it added resistance to cable movement.

On dérailleur bikes I have had inner gear cables fail but not on my Rohloff bike.  Usually they failed at the end of the cable that goes into the shifter, sometimes putting a bit of grease on the end of the cable can help in this case. 

Some people use a lot more force when they try to shift than they really need, I know a few people that seem to think that if they want a lower gear than the bike has, with using a bit more force they will magically create a lower gear, but that is generally unsuccessful.

I am trying to remember if I heard at one time that older hubs were harder to shift than newer hubs, perhaps there was a change in spring tension inside the hub?  If so, maybe gear cables are more likely to fail on older hubs?  My hub is from 2012 or 2013.

I replaced my inner gear cables a couple years ago on my Rohloff bike, I used Shimano road (not mountain) gear cables, they worked just fine.  I am using my original outer housing.

In the photo, this cable is from a bar end shifter that I had on a derailleur fitted bike.  When I put a new cable on I made sure that I had some grease on the cable.

Tigerbiten

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2018, 07:14:13 am »
On tour I've found that carrying a good set of cable cutters and a pair of gear inners is enough to do running repairs on my Rohloff ex box cables so I can keep going.
Then I'll replace the spare cables ASAP, which tends to be fairly easily done.

My main problem is the shifter is positioned vertically on my recumbent trike.
So in the wet, muck off the shifter is washed down into the start of the cables so they do tend to wear quickly in wet weather.
So every second gear inner, I'll try and pick up 4 meters of outer so I change them as well.

As I can feel the gear change getting stiff when things start to go wrong, the only time I've had a real problem is when I've put off changing the inners.
But the closest I've been to the middle of nowhere when on tour was cycling around Iceland.
If I'd been to Outer Mongolia then I'd probably need to carry more spare inner and outer cables ........  ;D