Technical > General Technical

Seatpost Nomad mk2 stuck

(1/3) > >>

joecrewe:
Hi
After having kept my bike in storage for 2 years (in a box), I am now reassembling it. All fine except I am having difficulty inserting the seatpost.  It is clean and greased up and it looks like there may be a *little* rust in the frame's tube. It gets about 7cm in before jamming from tightness (rather than anything blocking it). It needs to go further down for reasonable riding height- as I once had it on a long distance tour. Twisting and pushing the saddle works it to a halt and I don't want to use excessive force/hammers etc. Any ideas what I may be doing wrong or what could help?

Many thanks

mickeg:
I have no ideas, but some clarification might be useful.  My Nomad Mk II has a standard sized (27.2mm) seatpost in a shim that goes in the frame.  Assuming your bike is the same as mine, is your problematic rust inside the frame and that is blocking the shim from seating (bad pun) properly?  Or, is your situation different?  Or did I interpret that incorrectly?

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop:
Have you had the bike its whole life? We had this recently and it turned out the previous owner had put some spares spokes and a rag down the seat tube (not recommended BTW)

joecrewe:
Thanks for the replies.

Mickeg- yes standard with a shim. Haven't been able to inspect in daylight yet for exact rust damage but it looked minor. That said, even minor rust could be enough friction couldn't it?
Dave- yes I am the sole owner (since 2014) and I stored my spokes elsewhere.

Could it be to do with type of grease? I have the natural stuff that's yellow.
Or If it turns out to be rust in the frame causing it, what would be the recommended action? It's quite far down (starts from about the length of my middle finger after the shim ends).

Thank you
Joe

joecrewe:
Further clarification for  Mickeg- the rust is on the inside of the frame and appears to start after the shim (=the shim is clean)The shim is inserted and has remained inserted, and I haven't tried to move it in any way. The seatpost enters the shim fine and friction probably starts around the point where the seat post encounters the actual frame.  Hopefully that makes sense. Will get further comment on rust once I get to see it in daylight hours when I'm not at work. I packed the bike up in Malaysia's monsoon season in 2016 so humidity may have been present in the box for rust to have found its way there.

taa

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version