Technical > Lighting and Electronics

Upgrade front dynamo light?

(1/4) > >>

Inbred:
I’ve just become the proud owner of a used Thorn Raven Tour.
It’s equiped with a Schmidt Son 28 dynamo hub and a Schmidt E6 front light.
Although the light is ok, it’s not  great and it doesn’t have a stand light feature.
I’d like to upgrade to a better light with a stand light.
Any recommendations?
Thanks for the help 🙂👍

mickeg:
Do you anticipate ever wanting to charge batteries or a phone or anything like that from the hub?  If so, there are some lights that include a USB charger port.  But those are places where water can be a problem, so if you do not think you would use it, probably best off not to get it.

julk:
I have used a Supernova E3 Pro 2 (earlier version) for a long time now.
It works well and has given me no problems.
It also can run a Supernova rear light.
I remove it from the bike handlebars when shopping - it mounts and dismounts quickly with plugs on the connecting wires.

It has a switch on the back which means you can turn it off to allow a charger to run off your dynohub.
I use a cycle2charge which lets me use my phone for gps/map navigation in daylight whilst charging it up.
I hope this helps.
Julian.

Inbred:

--- Quote from: mickeg on December 16, 2018, 06:49:34 pm ---Do you anticipate ever wanting to charge batteries or a phone or anything like that from the hub?  If so, there are some lights that include a USB charger port.  But those are places where water can be a problem, so if you do not think you would use it, probably best off not to get it.

--- End quote ---

I’d like to be able to do both, but not necessarily from the light unit.
I think I’d rather have a separate usb charger like the Sinewave or Plug, mounted on the stem cap and the lamp mounted on the fork bridge.
Thanks for the help.

Inbred:

--- Quote from: julk on December 16, 2018, 07:11:14 pm ---I have used a Supernova E3 Pro 2 (earlier version) for a long time now.
It works well and has given me no problems.
It also can run a Supernova rear light.
I remove it from the bike handlebars when shopping - it mounts and dismounts quickly with plugs on the connecting wires.

It has a switch on the back which means you can turn it off to allow a charger to run off your dynohub.
I use a cycle2charge which lets me use my phone for gps/map navigation in daylight whilst charging it up.
I hope this helps.
Julian.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the help.
I have considered the Supernova but didn’t know much about them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version