Author Topic: Audax 853 ANOTHER ONE!  (Read 258 times)

leftpoole

Audax 853 ANOTHER ONE!
« on: December 05, 2018, 12:33:21 PM »
Hello,
As most are aware, I had been looking for a 550S Audax 853 for between 4-6 years. I recently was pointed in the direction of one and after negotiation purchased it. It is now off at the frame painters to be seen again next year.
Last evening I was ambling along through Ebay (like one does) and to my amazement.... after some to and fro exchanging messages it turns out to be another Audax 853 in the same size!!! Same horrible silver/pale blue colour too. Better condition though and with modern groupset and nicer wheels. The seller admits that the lacquer is coming off in places.
Who can guess what happened? No? Well indeed I have to be completely bonkers, but I have another on the way soon!
Must be like waiting for a Bus and then two come at once. I shall be very happy to have these bikes and will more than like refurbish both and maybe sell one at a later date.
But, after all the searching I have spent so much in such a little while.
John
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 12:35:35 PM by leftpoole »

John Saxby

Re: Audax 853 ANOTHER ONE!
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 05:44:18 PM »
like waiting for a Bus and then two come at once

Yep.  They run in packs, for protection.

Great news for you, John -- look forward to seeing the results, from a distance of course :)

Good luck,

John

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 09:17:06 PM »
sounds like a barrel of fun! Beautiful bikes worth caring for!

leftpoole

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 12:42:10 PM »
Hello,
I am looking forward to finding room for yet another cycle!
What made this deal so pleasurable, was as you can probably tell from the photograph. The seller looks to be a cycle dealer. I got the bike at for exactly the same price as the first one. At a price I was happy to pay!
When the first one has been restored I will probably let you all know how much it has all cost  :o
John

Andre Jute

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 02:36:18 PM »
I used to be into old cars and I came to within inches of buying an original Pedersen bicycle for restoration before some crazed person made an off-the-books offer that I later heard was double mine. But I know the (rare) feeling of success well, John. Congratulations on succeeding (twice!) after all this time. You deserve it.

leftpoole

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 04:13:48 PM »
I used to be into old cars and I came to within inches of buying an original Pedersen bicycle for restoration before some crazed person made an off-the-books offer that I later heard was double mine. But I know the (rare) feeling of success well, John. Congratulations on succeeding (twice!) after all this time. You deserve it.

Thank you!

David Simpson

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 09:07:33 PM »
John --

They say that good things come in threes. I suggest that you avoid eBay for a while, lest your pocketbook take another hit.   :)

Are you planning to rebuild the two bikes at the same time, or finish one before starting on the other?

- DaveS

leftpoole

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2018, 12:36:14 PM »
John --

They say that good things come in threes. I suggest that you avoid eBay for a while, lest your pocketbook take another hit.   :)

Are you planning to rebuild the two bikes at the same time, or finish one before starting on the other?

- DaveS

Looks to be excellent advice!
The first one is already in pieces. The frame/ forks is at refinishing workshop for painting, back end February (!)
When I get the second one, as itís in reasonable condition, Iím tempted to use it and get back into 853 riding mode?
I will keep you updated regularly regarding each bicycle .
Best to all,
John

julk

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2018, 01:08:14 AM »
John,
well done!
It is always good to have a spareÖ
Julian.