Community > Cycle Tours

UK but mostly Scotland (if that's possible)

(1/4) > >>

j-ms:
My apologies for the rather garbled title but it matches my current thought processes.

We got back from doing the length of Japan at the beginning of the month and will be heading off to cycle around South East Asia (again!) in January returning in March. 

When we return we hope to start a four month tour of the UK in mid-May (if the visa gods at the home office consider us suitable to be allowed into the country).  This is partly to visit friends in various parts of the country using LEJOG as a basic route to follow.  Four months is a long time for LEJOG but once we cross the border we hope to spend most of it tootling around the remoter areas of Scotland sleeping in the sticks and, hopefully, whatever bothies we can find.

My wife's memories of camping in Scotland are of having the hell being bitten out of her backside by the midges when she stepped out to relieve herself in the middle of the night.  She thinks that the midges will only be active after dark, hence the timing based on the longest days of the year but  I suspect that the midges might be a little less averse to sunlight than she hopes.

Anyhow, apart from advice on how to avoid the midges, we would be grateful for any hints and tips to make an unfocused cycling tour through the UK as enjoyable as possible.  Weather wise I am anticipating some more of what we experienced in Patagonia earlier this year.  Might it be warmer and wetter ?  Any suggestions on routes to take or avoid ?  I know this is very open ended but any advice would be helpful.

Jean-Marc

leftpoole:
Enjoy all of your planned trips. However you should ask the Scotland tourist board about midges (not after dark?) as there is a particular time of year when you can be midge free. I forget when that is but its not after dark!
Best regards,
John

rualexander:
Maybe better to do JOGLE rather than LEJOG then, if you are starting in mid-may.
You might then get a week or two of low midgie levels before they really get going.
Midgies can be about and biting at any time of day but are most prevalent in the evening before and around dusk once the wind has died down. Early morning can be bad too, before the breeze has picked up.
After dark, they tend not to be as bad.
They can make camping life hell any time after early June really through until mid september.

StuntPilot:
Yep ... hello from the front line here in Scotland!

Spring and Autumn are best for low midge numbers. Still and cloudy mornings and evenings bring them out especially in late June, July and August but exact times vary depending on location.

Here is a link for further information ... you can find plenty more advice on-line ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/outdoors/articles/midge/

There are two agreed effective repellents. Avon 'Skin So Soft' (used by the British Army though not effective for all), and 'Smidge' which I have used and found to be quite good. Smidge is made in Dundee, Scotland and continually re-formulated and tested in front-line midge warfare situations. They have a forecast web site too which may be helpful ...

https://www.smidgeup.com/midge-forecast/

A midge net too to put over a hat like a Tilley hat is the best approach for dealing with the midge's psychological warfare techniques! ;)

Plan your campsite location carefully. Not too close to still water or sheep/cattle. Preferably slightly elevated near the top of the elevation, and noting the amount of breeze before dusk and before pitching the tent.

Midges are attracted to certain things ...

https://www.smidgeup.com/midges/midge-facts/what-are-midges-attracted-to/

When its really bad, stopping breathing may be the preferred choice  :-\

Not flapping around and cursing and swearing, though difficult, is recommended, as is a course in meditation and mindfulness prior to the tour  ;D

macspud:
Avon 'Skin So Soft' most definitely does work. Smoke Coils, vitamin B starting well before arriving, Zen - don't kill the first one as that just attracts more. midge net over brimmed hat. Course of garlic capsules startling well before you arrive (also helps prevent tick bites). Light coloured clothing with long sleeves and long socks to tuck your trousers into, gloves, glasses to keep them out of your eyes when cycling (sometimes you have to just keep moving). Smoky fire. Hope for sunny dry weather with a gentle breeze. Lasty, find someone they find more tasty than you and stay close to them.
They do abate once it's fully dark though in summer there isn't much of that and less as you go north.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version