Author Topic: Missing a gear change?  (Read 6422 times)

sd

Missing a gear change?
« on: November 22, 2018, 06:17:12 pm »
Changing tyres today when I put the wheel back on and checked the gears there was only 12 changes. Was put into gear 1 before I took the wheel off but when i twisted the gear lever there was only 12 gear changes so I am missing one? Possible that there was only 12 changes before I took the wheel off. I normal aim to put it into gear 1 before I take the wheel off. HELP I want 14 gears!!

jags

Re: Lost a gear change?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2018, 06:19:21 pm »
well sd as you paid for 14, 12 ain't good enough hope you find them quick.

anto.

sd

Re: Missing a gear change?
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2018, 06:29:53 pm »
12 changes that's 13 as you are in one to start. Annoying as I am cycling with a fair bit of weight (foraging wood) at the moment.

geocycle

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2018, 06:37:21 pm »
So you just changed a tyre and didn’t take the cover plate off? Have you an exbox or internal cabling?

in4

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2018, 06:45:41 pm »
Are you not supposed to put the hub into gear 14 before removing the wheel?

sd

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2018, 08:00:22 pm »
So you just changed a tyre and didn’t take the cover plate off? Have you an exbox or internal cabling?
Not sure what an ebox is thought they were called click box? Either way neither of my present bikes have one. I disconnect via the bayonet fittings.

sd

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2018, 08:01:52 pm »
Are you not supposed to put the hub into gear 14 before removing the wheel?
Damn! Thought it was either 1 or 14. That may have been it.

David Simpson

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2018, 08:14:54 pm »
Assuming that you are using an external gear mechanism (exbox) . . .

As I understand it, you can put it into any gear that you want, provided that both the shifter and the hub are in the same gear when you mate up the exbox with the hub. The problem is that you can accidentally change gears on the shifter or hub while they are separated. The solution to this problem is to put them both into the same gear before mating them up. It is easy to see what gear the shifter is in, but it is difficult to see what gear the hub is in -- except for two gears: 1 and 14. These gears are easy to know because they are at the ends of the range. That's why they recommend putting it into gear 1 or 14 before you separate it.

- DaveS

rualexander

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2018, 09:41:22 pm »

sd has mentioned bayonet fittings so obviously has an internal gear mech Rohloff.
Therefore it shouldn't really matter too much which gear the hub is in when disconnecting the cables.
But in this case something has gone amiss.
So, sd, disconnect the bayonet fittings and pull one  hub cable all the way out until it stops, then gradually pull the other one all the way out and you should feel the 13 clicks as you go.
This will confirm that all is working ok at the hub end.
Also check your shifter rotates freely when pulling the shifter cables by hand and that the shifter rotates across the full range of 14 index numbers .
Reconnect your bayonet connectors and check again how many gears you are getting.
If its still only 13 (12 clicks), then I would guess a cable tension issue.
Try adjusting the cable tension adjusters a small amount either way and see if that sorts it.

sd

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2018, 10:42:22 pm »

sd has mentioned bayonet fittings so obviously has an internal gear mech Rohloff.
Therefore it shouldn't really matter too much which gear the hub is in when disconnecting the cables.
But in this case something has gone amiss.
So, sd, disconnect the bayonet fittings and pull one  hub cable all the way out until it stops, then gradually pull the other one all the way out and you should feel the 13 clicks as you go.
This will confirm that all is working ok at the hub end.
Also check your shifter rotates freely when pulling the shifter cables by hand and that the shifter rotates across the full range of 14 index numbers .
Reconnect your bayonet connectors and check again how many gears you are getting.
If its still only 13 (12 clicks), then I would guess a cable tension issue.
Try adjusting the cable tension adjusters a small amount either way and see if that sorts it.
Sounds good to me. Thanks I will get back.

mickeg

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2018, 12:51:59 am »
Common issue.  Last time I responded on this issue with an EX box I wrote this:
http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=12695.msg94419#msg94419

If you do not have the EX box, sorry I wasted your time.

John Saxby

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2018, 01:28:45 am »
Rual, thanks for a well-written "how-to".  I haven't had this problem (yet), but if I do, I'll know what to do.

FWIW, I've found the bayonet connectors snap together most easily when the shifter is in 8th, so I put it in that gear when I remove the wheel.

Cheers,  John

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2018, 11:39:42 am »
I have the bayonet fitting on my Raven.
When setting the bike up after landing in Ethiopia earlier this year I found my 1 was 14 and my 14 was 1.
Quite amusing for a while and I almost got use to it before I corrected the issue.
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Tigerbiten

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2018, 06:33:03 pm »
I'm slightly disabled so I find it hard to cut new cables to exactly the correct length.
Due to this I sometimes only get 13 gears.
When this happens, I use the sound difference to find the 7-8 gear shift.
If I only get 5 shifts up from 8 that means I'm missing 14 or only 5 shifts down from 7 means it's 1.
If I'm missing 14 then probably the 1 cable is to short or 14 is to long, so I adjust them with that fact in mind until I get the missing gear.
Visa versa for a missing 1.
If I run out of adjustment before finding the missing gear then it's cut new cables.

sd

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2018, 08:00:51 am »
Sorted although I am not sure how I did it!!
Thank you for all your help