Author Topic: LEJOG via Wild Atlantic Way  (Read 9368 times)

John Saxby

Re: LEJOG via Wild Atlantic Way
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2018, 04:40:30 pm »
Thanks for that weather advice, trail.  I'll expect rain, for sure.  I hiked the West Highland Way in mid-June in 2008, and there were only 2 days of 6 when there was some sun.  My wife and I spent a few days on Mull & Iona, and my first reaction was, "So this is why Nova Scotia got its name!"  Horizontal rain, cold winds in late June. My wife hadn't brought a proper hat ("It's June, John!"), so our first action was to get her a proper woolen toque.

Have also sent a PM with an idea on your do-anything bike.

Cheers,

John
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 09:00:17 pm by John Saxby »

rualexander

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2018, 05:06:40 pm »
May in Scotland is surprisingly busier than July/Aug

No it isn't.

gearoidmuar

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2018, 08:04:28 am »
I've cycled most of the Wild Atlantic Way before it was ever called that but on different tours. I've missed the Loop Head area of Clare and a few other small bits. Most of it is terrific. Donegal, which is quite spectacular, is pretty hilly along the coast so be prepared for that.
There are some diversions which are fab in great weather but not in bad weather. Sheep's Head in West Cork is one such place. Carrowniskey Strand to the west of Louisburg is another and a must-see in any weather is the Old Head Beach near Lousiburg as well. When you get to Achill Island go around the Island clockwise on its West side. It's mega.
I did no bike tour this year, having done 87 is the last 30y or so. I may have a go at the this route in one go. A few weeks is necessary to enjoy it.