Author Topic: Just bought an E bike  (Read 11296 times)

energyman

Re: Just bought an E bike
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2018, 05:24:07 pm »
Just be careful before changing bits onto an e-bike, its very easy to take them out of type approval, see https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uimwf7l3korzwr6/AACdqruNYppBgqtmDlmW8hRea?dl=0&preview=Leitfaden_Bauteiletausch_E-Bike_25_Stand-08-05-2018_EN.pdf

Thanks Dave for that post.
Owning an E - Bike puts one in a whole new ball park of regulations.
If one did change something then I assume that any bike insurance would be invalid ?

bobs

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2018, 11:01:03 pm »
Does some of this also apply to ordinary bikes ?

jags

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2018, 12:05:23 am »
bob whats the latest on your new ebike any big miles done.i had a good hunt around on utube wow some crackin ebike out there pedal assisted light weight long battery life  certainly sjs would want to get there act together or they will be left behind ;).

anto.

rualexander

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2018, 12:20:40 am »
For our Scottish members, it may be of interest that the Scottish Government has an interest free loan scheme for the purchase of ebikes. This has not been very well publicised even in Scotland.
http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/scotland/grants-loans/ebike-loan

Jags, maybe check the Irish Government doesn't have any similar scheme running?

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2018, 08:15:25 am »
If one did change something then I assume that any bike insurance would be invalid ?

No far worse, you would be riding an electric vehicle on a public road without type approval. I can already hear everyone saying so what, the police wont check... well they didn't check fixie bikes for brakes until recently when someone got killed, and if you did have a serious accident the bike would be quarantined and inspected, hence the industry agreeing to that list in the link I posted.

Does some of this also apply to ordinary bikes ?

Interesting point, not currently as standard pedal cycles don't need CE type approval like HPAC 25kph e-bikes.

jags

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2018, 12:58:51 pm »
For our Scottish members, it may be of interest that the Scottish Government has an interest free loan scheme for the purchase of ebikes. This has not been very well publicised even in Scotland.
http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/scotland/grants-loans/ebike-loan

Jags, maybe check the Irish Government doesn't have any similar scheme running?

I wish rual hard to get anything off this shower.I have 2 class bikes gathering dust in the spare  bedroom if I had a good ebike I reckon I'd be on every day.

John Saxby

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2018, 04:02:08 pm »
our Scottish members

Thanks, Rual, interesting initiative. I recall hearing that the Taiwanese gvt has a subsidy scheme by which they take an internal-combustion-engined scooter and give the owner/donor a discount on an e-scooter. 

As for "Scottish members", there are some intriguing rumblings afoot here, or deep underfoot: one of the conversations (rumours?) here, arising from the, ah, Constitutional Stuff going on in the UK these days, suggested that we offer Scotland the option to join Canada, as a nice reciprocal gesture for the huge role which Scots played in creating this country.  If your gvt brought its creative cycling instincts to the negotiating table, there'd be support in this wee corner of Ontario  ;)

bobs

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2018, 05:52:10 pm »
Welcome to the club Bob.  Still love my RST for touring (so far !) and when the sun is shining.
It's just another alternative to enable cyclists to remain cyclists when advancing years or infirmities dictate.
Out yesterday on the new bike. I did a hilly circuit I used to do years ago. Enjoyed doing so much that I did it twice with the E smile.

jags

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2018, 06:55:36 pm »
good for you bob these bike are getting better all the time still way out of my price range but i guess there well worth the expensive ,way to go for sure.

anto.

energyman

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2018, 07:17:01 pm »
bob whats the latest on your new ebike any big miles done.i had a good hunt around on utube wow some crackin ebike out there pedal assisted light weight long battery life  certainly sjs would want to get there act together or they will be left behind ;).

anto.

The Riese and Muller uk website lists SJS as a dealer.

jags

« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2018, 09:07:00 pm »

anto.

The Riese and Muller uk website lists SJS as a dealer.
bet they don't know about that  ;D ;D ;D
i had a good look at those ebike CLASS expensive but well thought out.

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2018, 08:19:30 am »
The Riese and Muller UK website lists SJS as a dealer.

They do indeed, currently we have 2 Superchargers, 3 Delites, a Nemo and a Nevo GT as Demo bikes, feel free to book to come down and try one.