Author Topic: Rohloff wears out  (Read 1336 times)

Donerol

Re: Rohloff wears out
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2019, 01:13:10 PM »
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I noticed that the person who had all the problems was using a belt drive. I recently spotted something on the CTC forum which may give some insight:

re belt drive on Rohloff:  For the last few years Rohloff have been fitting their new style driver which makes life easier for the average user; it allows easy replacement of the chain drive sprocket which is now fitted with a spline.  This replaces a unique (multi-start) screw thread arrangement for the sprocket. It turns out that the splined arrangement doesn't like a lot of preload on the chain/belt; the sprocket starts to orbit around on the driver, at first by a small amount (determined by the clearance between the parts) and as time goes on by an increasing amount and making a lot of noise too. (BTW the same thing often happens with belt drive sprockets fitted to other IGHs with the conventional three-lug fitment.) Problems are pretty much guaranteed with belt drive because belt drive requires a fair amount of preload.

This has caused plenty of grief to owners and was soon a known problem but it didn't stop folk being sold expensive machines which were bound to give trouble:

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/cycling-around-the-world-sadly-had-to-return-for-major-repairs.227214/

My bold. I don't know what if anything Rohloff themselves say about belt drive, but know they are insistent that chains must be quite slack.

mickeg

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2019, 05:06:23 PM »
Since this thread came back to life, a quick update. 

Previously I said:

Even though I built up my own wheels and therefore could spend several hours removing spokes to install the rings, since I have had 5 trouble free years so far I am not inclined to buy the rings.  Considering that Rohloff now considers the rings to be an integral part of the hub, I think they should send out a free set of rings to owners of older hubs upon request.  If they sent me a set of rings for free, I would take the time to install them.

I changed my mind, I saw a good price on the reinforcing rings so I bought them. 

At the end of winter when I take my studded tire off the Rohloff wheel, I plan to add the rings at that time.  Probably two to three hours of work at a leisurely pace.  It never hurts to increase your level of confidence in your equipment.

mickeg

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2019, 05:44:36 PM »
And one more reason to be happy about a chain drive instead of belt.  Interesting.

il padrone

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2019, 12:07:58 AM »
I saw the quoted Facebook post and I have grave doubts about:
1. The honesty of the poster - few specific details were given at all about exactly what "wore out" and he responded with not much more.
2. The weight issue - weight of rider and/or loads carried were not given.

I take the whole tale with a HUGE grain of salt.

These types of posts motivated me to leave that FB page.

Mike Ayling

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2019, 08:16:53 AM »

I do not have a facebook account.  (Or twitter or linked in or any other purely social media accounts, I do not count this site, Crazy Guy or Bikeforums.net as social media.)  So, I might be missing something.

You should add CycleBlaze to your favourites list. It is a home for a number of people who became unhappy with the behaviour of the owner of CrazyGuy. Still very small only 350 or so journals but you will recognise some of the more prolific former CG posters.

Mike