Author Topic: THORN AUDAX MK 4- Disc version and Rohloff!  (Read 9997 times)

leftpoole

THORN AUDAX MK 4- Disc version and Rohloff!
« on: October 25, 2018, 11:29:31 am »
Hello all,
This should be a great topic for some. Discs?????
John

The new Mk4 Audax builds on over 30 years of producing Audax bikes, its been bought up to date with provision for an ISO disc and appropriate cable routing. Though its still able to take traditional calliper brakes, down tube gear levers, STI’s or bar end shifters as you wish!
The first batch of these is very limited so feel free to call us on 01278 441505 and place a forward order for one with a £100 deposit.
Frame accepts 28.6mm clamp-on front derailleur, deep-drop 47/57mm Allen key fitting brakes, rear OLN 135mm. Frame will take 32c Schwalbe Supreme tyre with mudguards, 35’s when run with a disc and no guards. Thorn 858 double butted seamless custom Cro-Mo tube very similar in composition to Reynolds 725, one set of bosses on rear triangle for racks or mudguards, down-tube bosses accept either stops or Shimano down-tube levers but not Campagnolo.
New for 2019 is a custom rear dropout, this incorporates an ISO disc mount and clearance for a 140 or 160mm brake rotor.
The frame has an anchor point for a “Rohloff Axle Plate OEM2 Adapter for M5 Fender/Luggage Rack Bolt – 8552” meaning a Rohloff hub with an OEM2 axle plate can be fitted, however you will still need a chain tensioner and split able drop handlebars like the Van Nicholas bars (SJSC#46824)

jags

Re: THORN AUDAX MK 4- Disc version and Rohloff!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 06:25:48 pm »
sounds like a great bike but will it take an electric wheel  ;)

leftpoole

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 09:46:53 am »
I am surprised at the lack of interest shown here! THORN are listing the bike for ordering now! Mk4 with Discs!!!!!!

in4

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2018, 12:50:23 pm »
Is there a link that you can share?

Joe B

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 04:21:56 pm »
I am surprised at the lack of interest shown here! THORN are listing the bike for ordering now! Mk4 with Discs!!!!!!

I'm not sure that I would want one to be honest.

Though I like discs on the right bike I've never been convinced that they provide any benefit on a road bike running narrow tyres.

when it comes to mounting a Rolhoff would a mercury not be a better choice?

Perhaps giving the Audax some overlap with the Club Tour and Mercury is a good thing but if I were to buy a new Audax I'll probably go for derailleur's, rim brakes and 28mm tyres.   

geocycle

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2018, 05:22:40 pm »
The overlap with the mercury is an interesting one.  Discs are available on Mercury as well as the new audax.  The current audax is robust enough to do some credit card touring. The mercury also does this with a rohloff thrown in.

I would guess there is a demand for a lightish audax bike with a rohloff which is currently best satisfied by the Mercury.  It will be interesting to see what the detailed spec looks like and how different these are from the mercury. Also how the prices compare.

leftpoole

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2018, 06:15:58 pm »
Is there a link that you can share?

I don’t need to provide a link or indeed share! Just look on St John Street website . Look at bikes and look at frames. Along the top there are four colours available now. This is not speculation nor is it wishful thinking. It’s reality.
After years of telling us that discs were not good. Along come Audax framed with not only discs but Rohloff fitting brackets which previously have been frowned upon.
It’s all business and that’s good from the sellers point of view. I’m a calliper or cantilever supporter and can’t really see me with discs but one can never ever say never!
John
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 09:35:38 am by leftpoole »

jags

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2018, 06:57:18 pm »
The invisable bike  ;D ;D

sorry silver the link doesn't show a photo.

Joe B

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2018, 08:37:32 pm »
With respect to discs I do agree with Andy Balance's assertions as to why they are not always a good idea on some bikes, particularly those with narrow tyres.  (that said It would be good to see a disc option on the Raven).

An Audax with disc does seem to run against the grain of Thorn's historical philosophy but then they are a business and I guess they put provide what the customer wants.   

jags

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2018, 09:09:18 pm »
ah ha if that's the case Joe  why not supply EBIKES thorn  bike of course it is after all the future of cycling (well for old guys like me)  ;D ;D

brummie

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2018, 08:17:30 pm »
Would be nice to see a rebirth of the once popular XTC range utilizing 650b slicks/*Discs ( *due to limited rim brake 650b rims. )

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2018, 08:31:12 am »
Let me help clear up a few things:

- The Audax is a more budget frame than the Mercury so will appeal to many more customers.
- The ability to take Rohloff is just that, its got one carrier boss spaced to fit an OEM2 axle plate, its go no specific cable routing, nor an eccentric so for a dedicated Rohloff bike the Mercury is still the better choice, though if your on a budget and already have a Rohloff hub its probably better than most frames you would find for the money.
- Unless the demand is high its doubtful that we will offer a Rohloff Audax as a new build for reasons above.
- Disc brakes have come on allot in recent years especially cable pull ones, many Audax bikes come in for servicing with worn out rims on a regular basis, it makes allot of sense to run a disc on the rear in these circumstances, remember also many of our reservations regarding discs are to do with field/remote support, this isn't an issue as we doubt many Audax frames will ever be used for long periods of time in remote areas.
- There wont be a disc Audax steel fork, we do have a carbon one coming for it though https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/forks/evo-carbon-iso-disc-audax-fork-700c-1-18-ahead-a613d/
- We wont have any pictures of the frames until they arrive i'm afraid, though they will be very similar to the Mk3R in appearance, colours and decal layout/design.

silverdorking

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2018, 06:53:03 pm »
Hope this is not a thread hijack but why is a Mercury frame more than twice the price of, say the Audax? Excuse my ignorance but is it due to more than the cost of the steel employed?

jags

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2018, 07:05:41 pm »
That's a great question.