Author Topic: My Rohloff has been for a swim...  (Read 9894 times)

rafiki

• rafikiPHOTO
My Rohloff has been for a swim...
« on: October 21, 2018, 12:46:02 pm »
On my ride this morning a ford was a little deeper than I expected. Once in I kept pedalling to the other side and, in addition to wet feet, I think the Rohloff hub was submerged. It would only have been underwater for 30 seconds or so. Is it likely that water will have found its way into the hub?
Brian.

geocycle

Re: My Rohloff has been for a swim...
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2018, 01:28:04 pm »
Oh no! I guess that’s impossible to answer other than by saying yes it could. If you are concerned I’d suggest an oil change. If water was inside the oil might look brown and have a smell.

Have you got rid of the other creaks and drivechain issues?

rafiki

• rafikiPHOTO
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2018, 02:54:09 pm »
An oil change then just in case. Thank you.

Drive is OK with the new chain fitted and chainring and rear sprocket both reversed..

Creaking BB still there. I have dismantled and tightened the bearings about 4 times now. Each time there is a little more to tweak up and then it's a bit better but the creak is still there. Next time a little bit more tweak up and it's better still - and repeat. One more try and I'm going to replace the eccentric and bearings if it doesn't go completely. I do wonder if it is something to do with the bearing spacer. Shimano instructions and SJS both say one 2.5 mm spacer on the drive side. I'm not clear why the need for a spacer but I have been following the advice. The eccentric that was fitted to my bike as original and the new one I got from SJS are both the special 73.2mm model where the Shimano instructions show 73.0 with a 2.5mm spacer. However the original on my bike did come with a spacer fitted. I had no creaking with that. Annoying but not critical.
Brian.

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 08:49:42 am »
Perform an oil change as soon as possible to flush out any water.

rafiki

• rafikiPHOTO
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 10:32:22 am »
Perform an oil change as soon as possible to flush out any water.

I will, Dave. Thank you.

Any thoughts on my BB creak? It's a 2009 Sterling.
Brian.

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 08:47:16 am »
I will, Dave. Thank you.

If its external bearing Shimano its probably the bearings. Otherwise it will be the interface between the eccentric and the frame that needs cleaning and greasing.

rafiki

• rafikiPHOTO
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2018, 10:07:20 am »
I will, Dave. Thank you.

If its external bearing Shimano its probably the bearings. Otherwise it will be the interface between the eccentric and the frame that needs cleaning and greasing.

It is an external bearing Dave. Brand new, as is the eccentric. I'll remove the eccentric and re-grease. Thanks for the advice.
Brian.

rafiki

• rafikiPHOTO
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2018, 06:39:32 pm »
I will, Dave. Thank you.

I stripped it down again, cleaned each part and the frame housing, re-greased everything and reassembled. Just back from a short ride and it's no better and no worse than before. Very frustrating!
Brian.

mickeg

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2018, 11:37:59 pm »
Sorry, can't help.  My bottom bracket is square taper, any other thoughts like pedal/shoe interface I already mentioned.

The frustrations I had with bottom bracket area noises was clicking noises instead.

Tiberius

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2018, 12:05:09 am »
I stripped it down again, cleaned each part and the frame housing, re-greased everything and reassembled. Just back from a short ride and it's no better and no worse than before. Very frustrating!

So, it's exactly the same as before you stripped and reassembled the whole BB/EBB assembly ??

In that case I would strongly suspect that the noise is NOT being generated from a problem in the bottom bracket area despite the fact that it sounds like it, and what you continue to believe.

I haven't read through everything that you have posted on this issue so I'm guessing that you have looked at pedals/chain ring bolts/stem/seat post/saddle ??

rafiki

• rafikiPHOTO
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2018, 07:19:27 am »

So, it's exactly the same as before you stripped and reassembled the whole BB/EBB assembly ??

In that case I would strongly suspect that the noise is NOT being generated from a problem in the bottom bracket area despite the fact that it sounds like it, and what you continue to believe.

I haven't read through everything that you have posted on this issue so I'm guessing that you have looked at pedals/chain ring bolts/stem/seat post/saddle ??

Yes, I am beginning to think that too despite almost being able to SEE the sound coming from the BB! I have checked all the items you mention. However, I am going go over it all again. Today i'm going to remove the pedals and fit an alternative pair because if it isn't the BB the sound is still very cadence linked, left and right. The saddle is quite new so I'll have a look at that too. The seatpost is still stuck solid. Chain is new and tension is according to spec. Chainring bolts tight and torqued to spec.

Hopefully I'll get the pedals changed and tested today. The rest will have to wait until my return from a trip after the weekend. I appreciate your input. Thank you.
Brian.

in4

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2018, 08:00:05 am »
Outside chance it's your mudflap not being secure. Happened to me.

rafiki

• rafikiPHOTO
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2018, 08:16:54 am »
There are mudguard rattles on the rough but they check out ok.

Oh, and it is unlikely saddle or stem because it happens whilst I'm pedaling standing up.
Brian.

Tiberius

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2018, 10:19:26 am »
. Oh, and it is unlikely saddle or stem because it happens whilst I'm pedaling standing up.

It could still be the stem even when you are riding stood up.....assuming that you are holding onto the handlebars whilst riding stood up.

If you CAN ride standing up AND not holding onto the handlebars, then you should be in a circus... ;D

rafiki

• rafikiPHOTO
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2018, 02:23:39 pm »
I changed the pedals but no change, the noise is still there. Stood on the pedals and the noise remained. Sat on the saddle, pedaled hard getting the noise and just lightly guided the handlebars and still got the noise. So: if it isn't those things and if it really isn't the BB then the next thing is the chain I suppose. It's new and the chainring and rear sprocket have been reversed. I still have the old chain so the next thing I guess is to reinstall that and see if there is any change. I'm off on a trip tomorrow so it will be next Tue or Wed before I can make the change but I'll report back then. In the meantime if anyone has further suggestions I will be glad to give them a go on my return.

Thanks all for your help and encouragement so far.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 02:25:24 pm by rafiki »
Brian.