Community > Rohloff Internal Hub Gears

My Rohloff has been for a swim...

(1/6) > >>

rafiki:
On my ride this morning a ford was a little deeper than I expected. Once in I kept pedalling to the other side and, in addition to wet feet, I think the Rohloff hub was submerged. It would only have been underwater for 30 seconds or so. Is it likely that water will have found its way into the hub?

geocycle:
Oh no! I guess that’s impossible to answer other than by saying yes it could. If you are concerned I’d suggest an oil change. If water was inside the oil might look brown and have a smell.

Have you got rid of the other creaks and drivechain issues?

rafiki:
An oil change then just in case. Thank you.

Drive is OK with the new chain fitted and chainring and rear sprocket both reversed..

Creaking BB still there. I have dismantled and tightened the bearings about 4 times now. Each time there is a little more to tweak up and then it's a bit better but the creak is still there. Next time a little bit more tweak up and it's better still - and repeat. One more try and I'm going to replace the eccentric and bearings if it doesn't go completely. I do wonder if it is something to do with the bearing spacer. Shimano instructions and SJS both say one 2.5 mm spacer on the drive side. I'm not clear why the need for a spacer but I have been following the advice. The eccentric that was fitted to my bike as original and the new one I got from SJS are both the special 73.2mm model where the Shimano instructions show 73.0 with a 2.5mm spacer. However the original on my bike did come with a spacer fitted. I had no creaking with that. Annoying but not critical.

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop:
Perform an oil change as soon as possible to flush out any water.

rafiki:

--- Quote from: Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop on October 22, 2018, 08:49:42 am ---Perform an oil change as soon as possible to flush out any water.

--- End quote ---

I will, Dave. Thank you.

Any thoughts on my BB creak? It's a 2009 Sterling.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version