Author Topic: The 9 nylon pins  (Read 3358 times)

TouringMechanic

The 9 nylon pins
« on: October 19, 2018, 05:38:07 am »
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if any of you hopelessly romantic mechanics could know the dimensions of the nylon pins inside the output part of the hub? Or where I can get the replacement ones?

Thank You  :) 8)

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles
Re: The 9 nylon pins
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 08:51:01 am »
We have plenty in stock, out of interest whats happened to yours? I've never seen any fail in my 17yrs of working on them...

TouringMechanic

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 05:35:30 am »
Thank You for Your quick answer. I have a friend's hub who tore the hub bearings on a long trip with 50kg added weight and the bearings are now replaced with SKF ones, so I figured, as the pins must also have suffered a bit, it would be wise to put some new ones in. We are currently over the alps and are making a break, but none of the eastern european bike shops seams to know what Rohloff is.  ;D However, I have found a shop in Norway with this item, but it is out of stock.
We found a workshop which could manufacture new ones, but it would be nice to have the exact measures to begin with.

• Thorn Cycles
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 03:06:08 pm »
The pins should be fine as the forces are different on bearings as on these pins. If the hub shell came off and goes back on okay and the coupling pins still look cylindrical rather an ellipse, then they should just use the old pins.

TouringMechanic

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2018, 03:36:24 pm »
Well, the hub closes fine without the pins, but the pins seem to be a bit swollen. It took us some time to find the mechanic for the bearings and I cleaned all the oil from the pins, and I guess I should not have done it. Maybe the plastic is swollen because of the immense humidity in the shed, so it will not fit anymore. We could try riding with just 6 pins, but it wouldnt be smart to do. I would like to know the exact measures to be sure if the pins just need a bit more force to close, or are they really toast.

• Thorn Cycles
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2018, 08:41:23 am »
If you want to pm me your address i'm more than happy to post you some.

jags

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2018, 07:08:12 pm »
Good job Dave quality service.