Author Topic: this is nice video  (Read 9005 times)

jags

this is nice video
« on: October 17, 2018, 12:37:24 pm »
here u go lads.

[Link deleted by Dan.]

Anto's dream bike.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 07:53:01 pm by Danneaux »

energyman

Re: this is nice video
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 07:02:53 pm »
I want one too !!

[Sorry to say, this ^^^ is exactly why I deleted Anto's link above...this is the Thorn Cycling Forum and Thorn don't (yet) produce a fully integrated e-Bike. They do, however, pay the costs to provide this Forum as a playground for discussion of their branded bikes and related topics...touring, mechanical issues, accessories, all the things that might conceivably be Thorn related or would also work on a Thorn. If other brands are featured here then it can create a "want" at cross purposes to selling items from Thorn and its sister company, St. John's Street Cycles. The best way to support the Forum and ensure its future is to purchase things from Thorn/SJS Cycles so it will be worth their while to continue. All the best,  Dan.]
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 08:01:39 pm by Danneaux »

jags

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 08:40:22 pm »
Give me a break dan.feck it im off have fun.

bobs

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 12:53:22 am »
Whilst I don't agree with a lot of things that Jags says or does,  I find it unbelievable and  disappointing that a post should be deleted because it refers to product which doesn't relate to Thorn or SJSC.
So it's ok to mention Bromptons because SJSC stock them but not E bikes even though they have test bikes.
I would be very surprised if Robin Thorn wanted the forum to be run this way. As someone who has spent a lot of money with SJSC I think you do the brand more harm than good.

Bob

rualexander

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 08:13:23 am »
+1

leftpoole

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 10:31:01 am »
It is the first time I have ever agreed with deletion of posts!

bobs

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2018, 11:01:16 am »
Hi John,

Is that because you and Jags have history or because you don't like E bikes. How would you feel if it was a post about  Brooks saddles that was deleted because SJSC  had stopped selling them and any discussion was against Thorns/SJSC interest .
There is a member of this forum who contributes a great deal to the forum but doesn't own a Thorn bike. Is he to be censored and not allowed to discuss his Utopia bike.
As far as I know Jags has had 2 Thorns
and has contributed his fair share.

Bob
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 11:03:26 am by bobs »

bikepacker

• Bikepacker
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2018, 11:48:26 am »
[color=redThey do, however, pay the costs to provide this Forum as a playground for discussion of their branded bikes and related topics...touring, mechanical issues, accessories, all the things that might conceivably be Thorn related or would also work on a Thorn. All the best,  Dan.][/color]

What exactly would the costs be for providing this forum?
If you want to be happy learn to be alone without being lonely.
If you want to enjoy the world see it from the saddle of a bike.
If you want to experience beauty camp alone in a spectacular place.
If you want release your anxieties cease excuses and take actions.

jags

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2018, 12:57:45 pm »
Bob i had 3 thorn bikes still ride my audax,i didn't mean any harm posting the video wasn't trying to wind anyone up in any way, just letting you guys see the first rohloff ebike which i thing is super cool.

Dan you went a bit to far this time for my liking it is after all members just chatting to one another about bikes for gods sake no need to be jumping on the adm delete button everytime you think mr thorn will have a baby if his brand is not mentioned.

anyway i'n off to play golf not a thorn bike in sight have a nice day.

Anto.

jags

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2018, 01:00:52 pm »
It is the first time I have ever agreed with deletion of posts!
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

leftpoole

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2018, 04:08:01 pm »
Attention!
I have three (3) Thorn bikes! Or in actual fact two complete and one new build. Ask sales at SJSC to confirm.
I have been deleted in the past and in fact I find Dans over enthusiastic approach to the forum infuriating. For the most the Forum is for talking about Thorn cycles to encourage others to buy Thorn. It’s no problem.
But talking about other stuff including crap electrically powered bikes is just what it is, talk!
I can’t abide e bikes and can’t abide some comment from other Forum members but,,,, Dan is and has been stepping out of line in my opinion.’
Some people have nothing better to do than start conversations about rubbish. Let them!
Regards,
John
PS:- I have three Condor cycles also plus a very old rusty Colnago ready to be restored. Offers willingly discussed!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 03:15:41 pm by leftpoole »

rualexander

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2018, 05:23:40 pm »
If we're not allowed to discuss things that aren't Thorn related then why do we have this section of the forum :
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 05:28:04 pm by rualexander »

jags

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2018, 05:44:18 pm »
nothing wrong with Ebikes  nothing at all.
mind you i admit i post CRAP every now and again difference is  there all in good fun that's were me and you differ ;)

jags.

bobs

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2018, 06:03:55 pm »
Maybe we all need to make more of the "Muppets thread" 
John as someone  who has suffered poor health I would have thought that you would have embraced the ebike concept as a way of extending your enjoyment of the outdoors. Perhaps you don't fully understand the concept or how they work. I for one would get one when the time comes.

Bob

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2018, 06:57:46 pm »
Hi All, Dan here.

If you look again at my comment appended to Anto's at the beginning of this thread, I did _not_ say all non-Thorn discussions were prohibited. What I said was...
They [Thorn] do, however, pay the costs to provide this Forum as a playground for discussion of their branded bikes and related topics...touring, mechanical issues, accessories, all the things that might conceivably be Thorn related or would also work on a Thorn.
That covers a lot of ground!

Unlike the vast majority of general topic Forums, this one is single-maker sponsored and provided. My reason for deleting the link in Anto's post was because it generated interest in -- could be seen as directly promoting -- a bike at the expense of a Thorn, as I clearly stated. Doesn't it seem a little unkind to bite the hand that feeds you? In this case, the video created an instant "I want" that was a pretty clear case of promotion as I saw it, not unlike putting an advertisement for a competing brand of car (Chevrolet) on a forum provided by another maker (Ford). That's why I flagged it and wrote what I did in explanation and it is no different than my reminders in the past. I have fifteen bikes of my own including one Thorn, but refrain from posting about the others because they aren't this marque. It is not true members cannot discuss things that aren't Thorn related; one only has to look at the vast array and breadth of topics on the Forum to see the great diversity in topics. It is precisely why we have a board for "Anything Cycling...non-Thorn related" and a "Muppets" board...plus all the other boards. Though Andre rides a Utopia, he has certainly brought a lot of useful information that has been applicable to Thorns. He certainly has not been censored by me.

I have administered the forum without remuneration and on Thorn's behalf for six years. It has taken a lot of time, often as much as 30-40 hours a week as I administered the back-end, corrected outages, performed server maintenance, removed or prevented spam, contributed to topics myself, and addressed a number of requests for assistance that came offline in the form of PMs and emails. Throughout that time I have documented my administrative activities on a board only other administrators can see so Thorn have been fully advised. I have also been in contact with Robin and with Dave Whittle, who know and have encouraged me in my efforts on behalf of the company and forum. The result has been a pleasant community with little administrative interference, the only real administrative reminders being to be nice to each other, to avoid libelous statements that could result in legal action, and to try and keep things largely focused on Thorn products in general with a few exceptions that can be counted on the fingers of one hand. When things go sour between members and squabbles occur, they don't always trigger actions on my own. Rather, the quieter members send me PMs and emails asking for peace to be restored so they can get back to the usual calm tenor of the Forum. Most of the complaints and comments about the actions of other members come to me offline in PMs and emails and I am responsive to those.

When there have been squabbles, much has gone on behind the scenes that users do not see, which is how it should be.

I have been in contact with Robin on this (present) topic from the beginning and we are working on a plan going forward. Independently, I am also pondering my time commitment to the Forum, as it has taken time from my regular job, recreation and touring with no compensation except what came from keeping things running generally smoothly and pleasantly and helping others. Stay tuned, for there will likely be changes in the works as the Forum evolves.

As for my statement that...
The best way to support the Forum and ensure its future is to purchase things from Thorn/SJS Cycles so it will be worth their while to continue.
...it is true. If you love the bikes, then it is worthwhile considering a purchase from the company that makes them!

With best regards to all,

Dan.
Thorn Cycling Forum Administrator
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 03:48:13 pm by Danneaux »