Author Topic: Bracketry for lights and saddlebags  (Read 8287 times)

leftpoole

Bracketry for lights and saddlebags
« on: October 08, 2018, 11:11:11 am »
[This topic originated as a branch from JoeB's gallery entry about his two Thorns: http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=8317.msg98573#new
Since it had gone off-topic, I split it and moved the tangential comments here to preserve the original thread. The photos of Joe B's bike below were a repost of originals still in his gallery at the link above. -- Dan.]

Finally finished the Audax. It might be a while before I get the Tandem completed but as my stoker is currently hobbling about on crutches I don't suppose that will matter.

P1030147 by Joe.Audax, on Flickr

P1030149 by Joe.Audax, on Flickr

P1030150 by Joe.Audax, on Flickr

Hello,
Simply, FABULOUS!
Regards,
John
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 07:50:27 pm by Danneaux »

mickeg

Re: Bracketry for lights and saddlebags
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 05:30:39 pm »
Thanks to both Joe B for photos and to Leftpoole for re-posting some of Joe B's photos.  I had not seen that saddle bag support on the Audax before.  It looks like a standard Carradice support, but with some extra reinforcement from some spare rack stays.

I might have to try to think harder about making something like that.  I had some plans for a winter project to make a support modeled after one I saw on a bike in Iceland two years ago, but now I have to do some re-thinking. 

leftpoole

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 09:09:53 am »
Thanks to both Joe B for photos and to Leftpoole for re-posting some of Joe B's photos.  I had not seen that saddle bag support on the Audax before.  It looks like a standard Carradice support, but with some extra reinforcement from some spare rack stays.

I might have to try to think harder about making something like that.  I had some plans for a winter project to make a support modeled after one I saw on a bike in Iceland two years ago, but now I have to do some re-thinking.

I think those racks or stays only are available from Carradice.
John

jags

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 03:52:30 pm »
it's a carradice expedition rack ok for barley saddlebag  but any thing bigger better off with a proper rack .

anto

mickeg

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 04:34:05 pm »
I do not mean to diverge too much from the topic of the two beautiful bikes here, but I mentioned that I saw a bag support in Iceland, attached a photo.  But I was thinking making a support that is closer to horizontal by using two clamps on the seatpost instead of using the rack mounts on the frame seatstays.

I have a Nelson Longflap and a Pendle bag.  The Pendle does not really need a support, I have just hung it from a couple spring loops on my Conquest saddle that has no loops but is a sprung saddle.

I have commented before that I planned to use a sheet of Coroplast as a stiffener if I could ever find a source.  And I found that a store called Home Depot in USA sells Coroplast, so I bought a big sheet of it for several projects, including as a stiffener in each of my Carradice saddle bags.

lewis noble

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 08:13:48 pm »
Hello Joe . . . Superb bike and photos . . . Could you clarify what light bracket that is, mounted I think on the front brake bolt? On my Audax, there seems v little room between the brake caliper arm and the lower bearing race, but I am keen to make space on my bars and put the light there.  .   

Lewis

leftpoole

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 08:03:13 am »
Hello Joe . . . Superb bike and photos . . . Could you clarify what light bracket that is, mounted I think on the front brake bolt? On my Audax, there seems v little room between the brake caliper arm and the lower bearing race, but I am keen to make space on my bars and put the light there.  .   

Lewis

Lewis,
You have to file or slightly bend to avoid the lower bearing race.
John

lewis noble

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2018, 09:30:41 am »
Thanks John, will consider what to do . . .

Lewis

leftpoole

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2018, 09:35:42 am »
Thanks John, will consider what to do . . .

Lewis
Lewis,
The other way is to place the bracket between the caliper and the fat washer. Any of these methods works well when in use.
John

mickeg

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2018, 05:13:29 pm »
I have done some bending on a light bracket like that.  They are quite robust and large tools that give good leverage are best.

Joe B

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2018, 07:25:11 pm »
Hi lewis,
I'm away from home at the moment so can't check but it is a B&M light/bracket, I think I just used a spacer to get it fitted correctly.

Mick,  having looked on the sjs website the bag support and the stays are available as seperate items. I bought mine as a single unit, don't know whether it's still available in thaf way anymore though.

mickeg

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2018, 07:59:38 pm »
Mick,  having looked on the sjs website the bag support and the stays are available as seperate items. I bought mine as a single unit, don't know whether it's still available in thaf way anymore though.

Thanks.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2018, 08:03:13 pm »
George,

A tip: You can use Tubus forward rack supports and drawbolts/brackets (stayholders) to make nice supports for Carradice bag racks (Bagman, etc). I have done so and they work well, being available in a variety of sizes.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/carriers-racks/black-tubus-stayholder-mount-for-roundstays/?geoc=US
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/carriers-racks/190mm-black-tubus-roundstay-l/?geoc=US

Best,

Dan.

leftpoole

mickeg

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2018, 03:29:24 pm »
I apologize to Joe B, my question on the saddlebag support led to a hijack of this thread.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone but I really planned on making a saddle bag support from some Aluminum bar stock that I have already purchased.  I have a big bench vice and some large tools for leverage, etc. 

My Nomad has a lot of seatpost showing, thus any bracket I make would likely be based on two clamps on my seatpost that I have already purchased.  The seat stay rack mounts are way too low to function well as a saddle bag support.  And since I use a Brooks Conquest, if I installed the Bagman on the saddle, it would hang down  farther than I want because of the springs and also because the Conquest frame is sloped much more than the frame on most other saddles.

Thus, I did not plan to use any of the off the shelf components for a support.  But thanks to everyone for trying to assist me in my endeavours.

I thought about posting a photo of my saddle and seatpost, but decided that would only further the hijack of the thread.